Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2014, 01:01 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmyfreedom View Post
Have your doors dead bolted up high where they can't reach..
We had a wanderer almost every Saturday morning at 7am. I would wake up with the kidlet's bff in the house in pjs, with kidlet. Her mom or dad would call around 8am (when they woke up?) to make sure she was over with us. Lock your doors, bolts up high!
Old 11-14-2014, 01:37 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Actually, I must admit...I'm not a huge fan of overbaby-proofing the house. I've gone to a couple houses (in fact one this last weekend) where you can't take a pee, open a cabinet, use a light switch, plug anything in, or open a door without a specialized instruction manual. I think makers of these devices will sell parents this stuff, making huge profits, until their whole houses are covered with bubble wrap and completely dysfunctional.

Obviously, most of the poster's advice here is very reasonable but I think you do walk a line between sensible babyproofing and getting kinda crazy.

I had a friend that installed a camera in the ceiling of her baby's room and got a SID monitor that was ridiculously expensive and the baby was perfectly healthy at birth and stayed that way.

I had two kids and the only babyproofing I did was to put a wooden gate over the stairs since their playroom was on our 3rd floor in the loft.

Otherwise, I just told them not to touch stuff and luckily they listened. (Of course, my kids are almost 10 years apart so I also didn't have a bunch of toddlers all running around at the same time so it was easier).

My mom had 5 children...babyproofing stuff didn't really even exist and me and my siblings are all still living.

I know I may get criticism for this but babyproofing should never be a replacement for discipline. Also, no matter what you do...kids are gonna hurt themselves...and sometimes that's ok. Its a learning experience. I spent 5 years of my life with skinned knees and elbows and a whole lot of bruises. I finally learned how to ride a bike properly and watch for traffic cause falling hurts.

If I do have one piece of advice, its to make sure you use the wall clips that are included for high furniture and especially flat screen TVs. I think those new TVs are ridiculously unstable if they're not wall-mounted. I have almost tipped a couple of mine over, numerous times.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:06 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I recall someone telling me that when I dropped my son off at daycare I should grill the daycare about how often the communal toys were sterilized. I never did this because I didn't want to appear to be paranoid and I thought there could be potentially more risk associated with the cleaning product.

Leaving kids in cars is a big one. Every year we hear about kids being left in cars (while parents pop into the store). Car gets stolen.

Another serious hazard for those of us who live in cold climates is the 'command start' on our vehicles. Kids play with keys, accidentally start the car, kid's bedroom is above the garage.... not a good situation. So keep the car keys out-of-reach.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:27 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
I recall someone telling me that when I dropped my son off at daycare I should grill the daycare about how often the communal toys were sterilized. I never did this because I didn't want to appear to be paranoid and I thought there could be potentially more risk associated with the cleaning product.
Your post reminded me of one of my neighbor's who was/is extremely neat. She disinfected her children's toys with bleach. About once a week she would wipe down everything in the toybox - being extremely vigilant with the hand washing - her home was/is spotless.

Needless to say her kids where always picking up every germ that was going around. She had them on antibiotics at the slightest sniffle. The kidlets suffered from recurring middle-ear infections as well.

I agree with Pursuing, there's only so much you can do to keep them out of harms way --- as my mother would say: small kids small problems, wait till they hit their teens.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:35 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Interesting you should say that Janibel. I too have a friend who was a clean-freak (much more than I) and her kids always seemed to be on antibiotics for something. Now they are in their teens and my friend is still a worrier. I often joke with her that Alberta Health Services should go back to sending people yearly statements of all the times people use the health care services so they can see the costs involved if they didn't have health care coverage. AHC used to do this many years ago and it was a real eye-opener for consumers as well as the medical community. This process led to the opening of more family health clinics and stopped doctors from seeing patients at the hospitals for colds.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:38 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Bath mats, plastic plug protectors, baby lock on chemicals under the sink and gates to the stairs plus deadbolt door locks are the only child proofing I ever practiced.

The rest was always keeping an eye on the child. Discipline - my favourite saying from day one was " look with your eyes, not your hands" and show hands put at sides.

I never took any ornaments down, had a christmas tree and all the decorations up.

Just patients, dilegence and persisitence.

Oh and of course Prayers. Lots of those lol!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I agree with Pursuing, there's only so much you can do to keep them out of harms way --- as my mother would say: small kids small problems, wait till they hit their teens.
I work in the automotive industry and I just read another pretty compelling study this week about how car seats -- when installed properly -- are no more safe than using a regular seat belt. And when installed incorrectly -- which is over 80% of the time -- they are more dangerous than seat belts. Mainly because they are heavy...so in a crash condition, they anchor the child to a very heavy, moving object.

Yet despite this study...and a lot of other data on the subject....it doesn't stop manufacturers from making billions selling this product to parents around the world. There's a whole regulatory industry formed from a product that probably hurts kids more than helps them.

Now I'm not suggesting that parents shouldn't protect their children and use reasonable safety measures. I'm simply suggesting that we shouldn't parent based on paranoia and fear. We shouldn't try to protect our kids from normal life experience and the mistakes/accidents they need to make and have in order to learn about life.

You cannot protect children from everything and sometimes protecting them too much leads them to not be able to function in normal situations.

There's some happy medium between making sure your toddlers don't drink poisonous substances to raising kids with some level of common sense based on accidental experience so that they don't end up living in your basement, scared of the world, until they're 35.

I'm not sure what that happy medium is. But somewhere between when my parents raised kids until now, we've crossed a line.

Maybe its because I'm getting into cranky middle age but lately I'm seeing more entitled, kinda-lazy young adults that have zero perspective on the harsh realities of life than I ever have. I often wonder if its because they've been "over-parented."
Old 11-14-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Interesting you should say that Janibel. I too have a friend who was a clean-freak (much more than I) and her kids always seemed to be on antibiotics for something. Now they are in their teens and my friend is still a worrier. I often joke with her that Alberta Health Services should go back to sending people yearly statements of all the times people use the health care services so they can see the costs involved if they didn't have health care coverage. AHC used to do this many years ago and it was a real eye-opener for consumers as well as the medical community. This process led to the opening of more family health clinics and stopped doctors from seeing patients at the hospitals for colds.
I'm not a health professional but I read a study that said having too-clean of a house isn't necessarily good for kids immune system.

My experience with my own kids was that they went through a "sick phase" when first exposed to a lot of other kids.

For my youngest, it was at Montessori...her 1st exposure. She ended up with a pretty nasty viral infection, whooping cough a couple times, and hand & foot rashes. Then once she got to jr K, she rarely got sick.

For my oldest, it was jr K. She got there with the other kids and was sick on and off with everything some other kid had for a year. Once that time was up, she almost never got sick.

I think they just need to build up an immunity and then they're more stable.

I often wonder how home schooled kids do with that.