Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2014, 10:40 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough
Default Safety Tips for Young Children

I recall being quite overwhelmed when my son was a toddler. When he was young he crawled around in his bedroom, found an electrical outlet and stuck a fork in the outlet and electrified himself. How he got a fork is beyond me. I recall my husband and I were sitting in the kitchen eating our meal and the lights dimmed for a moment and then we heard our son crying. He scared himself and luckily wasn't injured.

I thought I'd start this thread so that we could share some safety tips for young children.

I'll start this thread by offering this advice:

1. Go out and buy those plastic things that cover the electrical outlets. Nowadays there might be something else available?
2. Keep the door to the basement securely closed at all times.

What advice do you have?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:46 AM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

keep chemicals up and out of reach or better yet in a lockable cabinet.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:46 AM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Not any specific advice just a warning.... when they start skuttling around, keep your eyes on them at all times. Mine put a peanut butter sandwich in the VCR lol! They get into everything. We got on our hands and knees to check out what the kidlet could get into and 'secured' it.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Um...be paranoid.

When my kids were toddlers, they both came down with infections that caused them to need antibiotics. Because they were kids, they were given banana flavoured liquid antibiotics. My kids like bananas. The liquid had to be stored in the fridge.

We had a velcro lock on the fridge, and we put the containers far back. But never underestimate a cunning 3 year old. He got in an drank both containers of antibiotic, and we had to rush to the hospital, where he was fed liquid charcoal.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:04 AM

wantmyfreedom is on a distinguished road

Have your doors dead bolted up high where they can't reach. My cunning toddler ran out of the house to go play on my neighbor's swing set while I was taking a shower. Thank goodness my neighbor called me right away.

Secure heavy furniture like bookshelves and media units to the wall. Kids like to climb. Heavy furniture can cause serious harm if it tips and the kids get pinned underneath.

Keep long cords tucked away. Kids love to pull on them. They can be a choking hazard.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:09 AM

LovingFather32 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just revamped my first aid class a few weeks ago. The instructor asked us what the "worst choking hazard" for young children was.

Believe it or not the number one thing kids choke on are the pieces of plastic milk bags. When we cut the tip of the milk bag the little triangular plastic piece tends to fall to the ground sometimes. Turns out it fits perfectly to block the airway.

I'm always very careful that the piece goes straight n the garbage now.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:13 AM

childrenand happy is on a distinguished road

Here is a funy story My parents told me this one. I grew up on a farm of course potty training at this time so must of been in the 1980 I always watched my parents work outside from the bed room window of course no diaper on and right under the window was an electrical socket. and wouldnt you belive it I really had to go and got a good shock out of that one. Im not sure if even those electrical covers would stop that one LOL.

I believe the story because at the end of the pencil I do see the scar.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:48 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

What is the standard for the use of car seats nowadays? Front seat or back seat? Do the seats have to be installed by a mechanic? How long does a child have to use a car seat? Is it a provincial regulation?

When my son was around 2 or 3, I drove a corvette. Seats didn't even lock in position. I used to position a collapsible baby chair in the seat secured by a seat belt. When I had a passenger my son thought it was oh so fun to straddle the middle console. Looking back on that I shudder, although, had we been in an accident we likely wouldn't have survived as the car was pure fibreglass. I recall our next vehicle purchase was a gutless minivan. Quite a downer for me.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:04 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
What is the standard for the use of car seats nowadays? Front seat or back seat? Do the seats have to be installed by a mechanic? How long does a child have to use a car seat? Is it a provincial regulation?

When my son was around 2 or 3, I drove a corvette. Seats didn't even lock in position. I used to position a collapsible baby chair in the seat secured by a seat belt. When I had a passenger my son thought it was oh so fun to straddle the middle console. Looking back on that I shudder, although, had we been in an accident we likely wouldn't have survived as the car was pure fibreglass. I recall our next vehicle purchase was a gutless minivan. Quite a downer for me.
The standard for car seats is in the rear seat, rear facing for babies, front facing for toddlers. I think the weight/age restrictions are by province. Air bags have made the period longer than it used to be, since an air bag can kill a child, and even causes injuries to smaller adults.

My GF's 10 year old only rides in the back seat as she is very petite for her age.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:07 PM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

Provincial.

Provincial Legislation - Car Safety and Kids
Seat Belt - Car Safety and Kids