Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2017, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
tunnelight has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Representing documents to OCL social worker

Hi all, Just wondering what is the best way to point out documents that are not in continuing record, or things in documents that are in the OCL's hands ? Is it a safe bet to take a binder with you ?

What about communications between the other parent and yourself that are not in continuing record ? The OCL case worker has mentioned they will go through them. In a tabbed binder I suppose is the best way to go about this?

What are your thoughts on providing the worker with a Word document that outlines my concerns ?

When meeting with the worker, is it okay to go through the document to point out your concerns as opposed to memorizing everything ?

There are a lot of details and issues in my case and I'm trying to represent them in the best way possible without causing confusion.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2017, 04:48 PM
arabian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 9,916
arabian will become famous soon enough
Default

Do you have a parenting plan prepared or are you intending just to focus on all the bad things your ex has done?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2017, 07:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
tunnelight has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Do you have a parenting plan prepared or are you intending just to focus on all the bad things your ex has done?
Yes, I have a parenting plan prepared. This would be regarding decision making and time sharing. I will be mentioning positive things about myself (as well as any mistakes I may have made), my strengths and weaknesses as a parent, what I have done to reduce conflict and improve things, as well as pointing out things the other parent has done and/or is doing that were/are not child focused or in the best interests of the children (just like you are supposed to). I will also be referencing information which I have obtained from 3rd parties who have been involved with the family.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 5,226
standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelight View Post
Yes, I have a parenting plan prepared. This would be regarding decision making and time sharing. I will be mentioning positive things about myself (as well as any mistakes I may have made), my strengths and weaknesses as a parent, what I have done to reduce conflict and improve things, as well as critisizing the other parent for things that they have done which were not child focused or in the best interests of the children. I will also be referencing information which I have obtained from 3rd parties who have been involved with the family.
I am not sure that I would criticize the other parent. Focus more on your strengths
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
tunnelight has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
I am not sure that I would criticize the other parent. Focus more on your strengths
Just corrected that, didn't mean criticize exactly, but more so just pointing out concerns with things the other parent has done and/or is doing that were/are not child focused or in the best interests of the children. This would include things such as alienation, withholding information, unilateral decisions, and parenting time denials.

I had been advised that you have to voice out your concerns.. I have mentioned my strengths. Just to confirm, being involved with the children at their school, taking parenting courses, counselling, suggesting solutions, etc are strengths ? Would like to hear some specific examples of strengths just to make sure we are on the same page here.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2017, 10:01 PM
arabian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 9,916
arabian will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelight View Post
Just corrected that, didn't mean criticize exactly, but more so just pointing out concerns with things the other parent has done and/or is doing that were/are not child focused or in the best interests of the children. This would include things such as alienation, withholding information, unilateral decisions, and parenting time denials.

I had been advised that you have to voice out your concerns.. I have mentioned my strengths. Just to confirm, being involved with the children at their school, taking parenting courses, counselling, suggesting solutions, etc are strengths ? Would like to hear some specific examples of strengths just to make sure we are on the same page here.
perhaps you should specify exactly how you propose address these issues with examples

w.r.t. 3rd party statements - these are endorsements of your parenting skills which they have observed correct? (hearsay dirt on the other parent would be inadvisable and only show you to be high-conflict).
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2017, 12:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
tunnelight has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
perhaps you should specify exactly how you propose address these issues with examples

w.r.t. 3rd party statements - these are endorsements of your parenting skills which they have observed correct? (hearsay dirt on the other parent would be inadvisable and only show you to be high-conflict).
Yes, absolutely. I'm only providing a high level generalized statement here. I am proposing shared parenting due to the alienation and joint custody due to information being withheld and unilateral decisions being made. I would be open to parallel parenting if joint custody can't work. If parallel parenting isn't an option either then I would be going for sole. Not looking to eliminate the other parents involvement and would still involve them in the decisions as they are the other parent and should be involved.

w.r.t 3rd parties, yes , depends who it is. The school and CAS have seen me interact with child and have positive things to say. Daycare provider has made false allegations to CAS about me and has said they don't wish to see me when CAS allegations were turned back on them, have verbally attacked me in presence of the child, insulted and disrespected me, and involved themself in our case being enlisted by other parent in her alienation efforts and seem to be an ally of the other parent at this time. So I am not sure what daycare would say. The teachers have noticed odd behaviors and witnessed concerning comments made by our child. Exchange center we were using noticed child would say they didn't like me before exchanges and then make complete opposite comments when other parent was gone.

My comments about other parent on merely based on documented incidents and action, messages I have received from them in writing and things I have witnessed, observed in their presence or things I have been told from our child which I feel are important to share with the social worker.

Still looking to understand how to best present these things without causing confusion given the details and the number of different incidents. I guess I should mention other parent presently has sole custody, and I'm in the process of changing that to joint, or reversing it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2017, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 160
vocalfather is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelight View Post
Hi all, Just wondering what is the best way to point out documents that are not in continuing record, or things in documents that are in the OCL's hands ? Is it a safe bet to take a binder with you ?

What about communications between the other parent and yourself that are not in continuing record ? The OCL case worker has mentioned they will go through them. In a tabbed binder I suppose is the best way to go about this?

What are your thoughts on providing the worker with a Word document that outlines my concerns ?

When meeting with the worker, is it okay to go through the document to point out your concerns as opposed to memorizing everything ?

There are a lot of details and issues in my case and I'm trying to represent them in the best way possible without causing confusion.

Thanks!

I find each OCL worker does something different. Ours refused to receive any documents directly from either party. Everything had to be filed as an exhibit and/or be in the court file. I've also heard otherwise. In your initial conversation, ask what is the best way for you to exchange information to them. They should be pretty forthright immediately with what they are prepared to do.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Worker keepcalmandmoveon Parenting Issues 3 09-24-2015 02:56 AM
Educational Documents Berner_Faith Parenting Issues 20 09-05-2013 08:07 AM
Social worker orchestred entire allegations... bfwireless Political Issues 7 05-27-2012 04:06 PM
Transitions Social Worker Pursuinghappiness Divorce & Family Law 0 06-08-2011 10:36 AM
Documents being removed from the family home ANewLife Divorce & Family Law 5 05-19-2009 11:12 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 AM.