Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2015, 01:04 AM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road
Default Quebec finds the loophole to award spousal support to unmarried couples

Quebec has been very proud that couples have the "choice" to be married or not and thus have alimentary obligations between each other,

A recent committee of lawyers has decided that once you have a child with somebody you should have to pay a form of compensation to the "primary" parent directly in relationship to the impact on the career from raising the child before and after the separation.

Notably, they also want to grant the right to unmarried partners to kick the partner out of the family home while the case gets to trial.....

So much for that....
Old 06-09-2015, 01:16 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

LInks where are you getting this info from? SOTS just posted something different from CBC.

Are you sure you're not misinterpreting this?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 AM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

0 links from links17.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:22 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Same Link as SOTS

I actually took the time to read part of the report - it is all pretty meaningless because the devil is in the details. The cynic in me says that practically speaking it will end up being the same as spousal support.

One part I need to re-read is the stats they used to prove that when a kid is born one of the parents takes a bigger hit financially.... I missed it - I think.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:25 AM

Teenwolf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
...have to pay a form of compensation to the "primary" parent directly in relationship to the impact on the career from raising the child before and after the separation.
I always thought this was a factor in SS. If you experiment with an online support calculator, the SSAG can be significantly longer with a child involved vice without.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 AM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

The problem Links is alluding to is that in the past, in Quebec where common law is not recognized, the family law system generally left it up to the parents to arrange their affairs. If alimony was to be paid, it would have been included in a cohabitation agreement, otherwise there is no entitlement to it for non-married couples.

Now the gaggling geese of family law lawyers want to create additional conflict (aka generate more money for themselves) by trying to introduce this concept that causes so many legal costs and financial devastation elsewhere in Canada.