Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of
Default Paralegals and Family Law

It looks like soon paralegals will be able to offer some family law services in Ontario:

Quote:
The Law Society of Upper Canada has approved a plan that will eventually expand the scope of family law to let paralegals offer some services in the area.
LSUC to expand scope of family law for paralegals | Canadian Lawyer Mag
Old 12-04-2017, 05:48 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Thanks Jeff.

I'm a bit perplexed though. Article mentions "9,000 paralegals that we’ve licensed..." so what would be different? Would paralegals' services be expanded to do what?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of

I think that the concern is paralegals who are already licensed won't have any training in family law.

The plan seems fairly general:
http://www.lsuc.on.ca/uploadedFiles/...port-final.pdf

and refers to "some family law services" with examples but not much clarity as to specifics. It almost sounds like they are thinking of a separate certificate or something similar for paralegals.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:51 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I recall my ex using paralegal services for a while. My lawyer was annoyed at times. The paralegal completed the forms correctly but directed matter to wrong court sessions.

Court forms can be a real pain and paralegal services would provide a valuable service to self-represented. Would also be wonderful if the paralegal could go to courthouse and do all the filing.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

For my matter, I didn't require legal advice. I just needed help filling in forms and filing them. It was annoying having to pay a lawyer to complete those tasks.