Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2017, 09:35 PM

Bellbaby is on a distinguished road
Default Paralegals in Family Law

Report recommends paralegals provide services in some family law matters

I know this has been discussed for the past ten years or so, of not longer. But thought this report could get interesting.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:38 PM

https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov....nsultation.php
Old 03-09-2017, 09:38 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Family lawyers have voiced concerns that they could be pushed out of the market if paralegals are given the right to provide legal services in any part of family law.
Sadly, for that reason alone, I don't expect to see paralegals in the family law courtrooms any time soon.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 PM

Agreed Janus, that's my fear. The lawyers fear, a piece of their pie may go missing....

Through my case, I've seen really good lawyers that are unattainable because they are so in demand. And then the greedy ones. No middle of the road ones... Then you think, well now what. And your back to this question and answer.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:51 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

The problem with FL is that it can explode into an eruption of stupidity that requires lawyers at times.

But, one has to consider... what is better? An unrepresented litigant or one at least represented by a paralegal. We have arrived at that problem.

I don't see lawyers losing any business. I just see paralegals filling the huge gap of the vast amount of people who are already unrepresented.

"Limited Representation" is better than none.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:01 PM

Desperate_Dad is on a distinguished road

I plan to reply to this report.

Of course it misses the point of why we have this problem in the first place which is most lawyers and judges are completely incompetent.

So is bringing in cheaper incompetents better than the expensive incompetents that are already there? Sure, but it doesn't solve the root cause of the problem.

I've outlined this problem to lawyers and law professors and surprisingly some of them are actually engaging in dialogue with me and agree with me.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:35 PM

Stillbreathing is on a distinguished road

Where is the like button? Couldn't agree with you more Desperate_Dad!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:37 PM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

just adds another overhead in my opinion.. we can't just be throwing more buddies at the problem..