Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2015, 07:20 PM

LovingFather32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioDaddy View Post
Like already started, the lawyer is simply doing what the client instructs.
Always? You know that for a fact?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:43 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingFather32 View Post
I think what Janibel means is that some lawyers dont encourage settlement, even when their clients may be leaning that way because it lightens their wallet.
I'm glad somebody got what I'm trying to say ... My Ex's husband's lawyer (number 3 btw)has done everything in his power to escalate an already difficult situation. Obvious to me that he wants to keep ex hubby on the payroll until he's broke!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
If I didn't utilize a lawyer for my divorce I'd likely be in the Big House now, doing time for murder1.
LMAO! and with your luck your cell-mate would have abundant ear-wax lol!!!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:49 PM

LovingFather32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibel View Post
LMAO! and with your luck your cell-mate would have abundant ear-wax lol!!!
Phew! First time I laughed out loud all night! Thanks for that!

I have to agree, having a lawyer to do the talking is relieving.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 AM

Franklin is an unknown quantity at this point

The law is like cutting the grass, you could do it yourself but it,s easier hire someone to do it for you, like a gardener. Remember the law is made from all of our struggles, it is engrained within our social order. The law becomes more complicated everyday in order to increase the chances of Justice. Key point here is THE CHANCES OF JUSTICE.

What does a good lawyer do? They play up the circumstances, they accept their clients word as the truth , They lie cheat and mislead, and then do damage control when all else fails. What does a great lawyer do? All of the above but to the highest extream. The more success the more money and I totally agree. That,s the job. Your chances of success for your client rest on this strategy. If lying was punished then things would be different but people lie and lawyers lie better. What I disagree with is the up front payments and the costs, but if people pay then that,s the price.

Being a family law lawyer is a draining and down right sleazy job and I know I could not do it. I self rept and I cleaned up in the court room. What did I learn? If I had lied, mislead and cheated I know I could have done way better. Ya its sick, but that,s the law.

Lastly I tried to help a fried of a friend self rep himself and the guy drove me nuts, he kept on wanting to include arguments like a valentines day card 2 years back where the ex writes she loves him, trying to show prove how he would never abuse her kind of stuff and other useless info, but he is the boss so to speak, of cource I wasn,t charging him. Ridiculous and that is just the begining, this guy stirred me up to the point I found myself yelling at him. LOL. I had to give up and that,s when I realized why we have lawyers. Don,t like them don,t use them or be frugal and fight for moneys worth out of them like any other profession.

Last edited by Franklin; 06-12-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:03 AM

annapurna66 is on a distinguished road

I don't think that lawyers are held accountable for their fees. Family law should be like medical-legal law...lawyer gets a percentage of what the settlement is...bad settlement?...no money. Family law is highway robbery of an often vulnerable group of people who have no where else to turn and are filled with fear of loosing their children or their homes. No where except in Family Law do you fork over a 10,000 retainer with absolutely no guarantee that the work provided will get you further to your goal. No other profession is so unaccountable for the services provided. My lawyer was knowledgeable and professional but did nothing to advance the settlement. Sorry but when I'm paying you 500 bucks an hour...get the job done...and I don't care if the other side is unreasonable or stalling or lying or cheating...I'm paying you to be better than that and still get the job done. I think unbundled services is the way to go...pay for exactly what you need...and then get out. The whole family law system needs an overhaul...it's a monopoly that needs to be broken down. Remember when Bell owned all the telephone lines and long distance was $1.50 a minute...back in the 70's?? 10 years from now we are going to look back on Family law and see the fees these lawyers charge as criminal.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:29 AM

^^^ Absolutely brilliant! they would work for a commission, that way it gets done FAST! I also agree 100% with the Bell telephone example.

Lawyers "a la carte".
Old 06-12-2015, 11:36 AM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapurna66 View Post
I don't think that lawyers are held accountable for their fees. Family law should be like medical-legal law...lawyer gets a percentage of what the settlement is...bad settlement?...no money. Family law is highway robbery of an often vulnerable group of people who have no where else to turn and are filled with fear of loosing their children or their homes. No where except in Family Law do you fork over a 10,000 retainer with absolutely no guarantee that the work provided will get you further to your goal. No other profession is so unaccountable for the services provided. My lawyer was knowledgeable and professional but did nothing to advance the settlement. Sorry but when I'm paying you 500 bucks an hour...get the job done...and I don't care if the other side is unreasonable or stalling or lying or cheating...I'm paying you to be better than that and still get the job done. I think unbundled services is the way to go...pay for exactly what you need...and then get out. The whole family law system needs an overhaul...it's a monopoly that needs to be broken down. Remember when Bell owned all the telephone lines and long distance was $1.50 a minute...back in the 70's?? 10 years from now we are going to look back on Family law and see the fees these lawyers charge as criminal.
Parts of this I agree with, other parts I don't.

I work in the legal industry. Almost all of the lawyers I have worked with provided value to their clients.

As for getting the job done, they can only do so much. They are subject to the legislation, the courts, their own clients and other facts that sometimes impede their ability to keep things moving.

Quote:
No where except in Family Law do you fork over a 10,000 retainer with absolutely no guarantee that the work provided will get you further to your goal.
This is where I really disagree. In no other line of work do you have people so emotionally invested and irrational, that come in with the most ridiculous of demands and expect instant results. I've seen first hand some of the stuff that family lawyers have to put up with. It would be akin to going into your doctors office and saying "remove this good leg of mine. I hate it because of birth mark I can barely see". The doctor would tell the person "No" and then "get counseling". But we have the expectation that the lawyer should do as we say, notwithstanding how stupid the request is.

I won't say that lawyers don't have their part in the failings of the family law system. But the clients are the bigger issue. Most can't get over their own issues and emotional baggage to actually help themselves, their lawyers and the legal process. If clients would learn to check their emotions at the door, I think everyone would see a much smoother legal process.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Lawyers are dealing weith a scared/captive market.

In Quebec, the ability to get unbundled services is very limited. I consider this to be a sign that the lawyers are exploiting the bureaucracy of the legal system to oblige you to pay for filing documents, writing simple things etc...

I wish I could find a good solid lawyer that I can consult every once in a while to make sure I am on the right track and review my motions.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:49 PM

I agree - in Quebec it's virtually impossible to retain a lawyer only for 'consultation' purposes. They take control of the case or refuse it. Often times it's their assistant who does 90% of the paperwork though they charge the full lawyers fee ... outrageous.

Is it any wonder that in Quebec self-reps are on the increase? I don't know what the statistics are in other provinces?