Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 10:51 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road
Default Law School

Whats it take to get into Law School here in Canada?

My passion seems to have be awakened since custody/access issues have become a part of my life. Perhaps I should persue a career in the field. I only know of Osgoode Hall in Toronto. Are there any other Law Schools in Canada?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:10 PM

atlanticcanadian is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to atlanticcanadian

Dalhousie Law
Old 06-18-2011, 11:11 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Oh yes, lots. Queen's University has a law school, so does Ottawa U, that I can name off the top of my head. Do some research! I know you have to write the LSAT.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:58 PM

karmaseeker is on a distinguished road

Waterloo U!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

To become a lawyer first you need to have a BA in anything. You need to write the LSAT which is a standardized test, you can get a book of previous years tests for practice at any bookstore. You need to write an entrance essay which is basically an argument for why they should let you into law school. Law is 90% contructing logical arguments so look at this as a practical test of your abilities, not just a formality.

You can become a paralegal with a college course, some schools pack it into one year, there is a continuing ed paralegal program at George Brown and at Seneca and I'm sure other colleges you can do nights and weekends. Paralegals may not practice family law but they can act as lawyers in many other areas including criminal law. Many courts are now hiring paralegals as prosecutors for simple offences like HTA.

You can study to be a law clerk. Law clerks have similar education to paralegals but must work under a lawyer. Law clerks do the work and then the lawyer signs the bottom and charges $500, as far as I can tell. This is a 1-2 year program at colleges. An entry level clerk is similar to a legal secretary but with seniority they have large responsibilities (think of it as an apprenticeship) and can earn $80k in downtown Toronto.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:44 AM

staysingle is on a distinguished road

Stay away from a "career" in the shit fest called "family law".
"When you look into the abyss the abyss looks back into you"

" Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one"

I think the best a person can do that has been "moved" by the family courts is help people through this site, people like Mess, LV, fieldgrey et al. They offer wise and practical help, help people keep yens of thousands of $$$ away from the false economy of family court.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:30 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

Well that would kind be the reason to get involved. Help for those people the genuinely need it, and are NOT playing games.

Took care of my BA in 97 so at least that's covered. Think I'm gonna go buy an LSAT exam set and see how I fare.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:01 PM

mom2three is on a distinguished road

There are currently 15 law schools in Canada; University of Alberta, University of British Columbia, University of Calgary, Dalhousie, McGill, University of New Brunswick, University of Ottawa, Queen's, University of Sask., University of Toronto, University of Manitoba, University of Victoria, Western, Windsor and York. And HOPEFULLY, within the next two years, there should be a new one at Lakehead University.

Before you go out and spend money on LSAT books, google LSAT - there are many tests online. Yes, the LSAT is mandatory. The BA is not; there are many universities that allocate spots for mature students. However, these spots are few.

If you are an Ontarian, there are several schools that offer both the law clerk and paralegal program; to find a paralegal program you can check on the Law Societies website. But no, currently paralegals are not qualified to act in family law matters.

All the best of luck to you!
Closed Thread