Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Keep in mind that we haven't seen the actual case, rather a mere opinion piece which very well could have tabloid headline. I find it hard to believe that a high court of appeal in the UK would tell someone to "get a job." Until I can read the published case I decline to comment.
Why do you find it hard to believe?

I am perfectly ok if somebody is making full efforts to work that I compensate them for their "marriage sacrifice" (i don't agree with how much of a sacrifice that really is)..... however I believe it should be CONTINGENT on them or trying to work full-time.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:25 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I'm merely questioning the tabloid-like headline and want to see what the actual ruling was is all.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 AM

nogoingback is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Keep in mind that we haven't seen the actual case, rather a mere opinion piece which very well could have tabloid headline. I find it hard to believe that a high court of appeal in the UK would tell someone to "get a job." Until I can read the published case I decline to comment.
Well, this is not the actual case, but does provide a little more insight into the rulings of the two judges Judge tells ex-wife of millionaire horse surgeon: 'go out to work' | UK news | The Guardian
Seems like a highly entitled ex, unwilling to work, and "evasive of her own earning capacity". And hiding behind the typical smoke screen of how bad it will be for their youngest child's lifestyle, while making no effort to get employed. Sounds all too familiar.
Can't say I love the UK's choice of working: "maintenance" in lieu of our spousal support..... which is not to say that spousal support drums up any positive vibes either.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:14 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A judge can't tell someone to get a job. What a judge can do is grant a reduction in support payments on the grounds that the recipient is capable of earning more than s/he is doing at present. Whether the recipient actually gets a job or not is up to him/her/.

Personally, I couldn't get past the phrase "millionaire horse surgeon". Who know that was a Thing?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:20 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Yeah it's pretty flaky writing IMO.

I look forward to reading the "real deal" when it is published on the British equivalent of CanLII.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Oh I can vouch for millionaire horse surgeons being out and about. I'm trying to do the conversions from British pounds to dollars - roughly tripled?
Arabian the uk lawyers are talking about it - check cassel Moore uk blog they give some more info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

In quebec judges say recipient MUST look for work