Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2014, 05:29 PM

SingingDad is on a distinguished road
Default I'm in awe that this actually went to court

Neighbour dispute in a rich Toronto neighbourhood

CanLII - 2014 ONSC 3061 (CanLII)
Old 05-22-2014, 05:50 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I note the matter was heard and decided in a relatively short period of time....

Nice to hear from you again SingingDad. I was thinking about you while watching the funeral for the Minister of Finance - wondered if you were perhaps in the choir?
Old 05-22-2014, 05:53 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

I'm surprised costs were not awarded, this would seem to me to be the definition of frivolous.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:13 PM

Leviathan is on a distinguished road

it's actually quite ridiculous...I guess the more $$ one makes, the more childish they become with the neighbors??...it's a battle of who's got more "prestige" within the community...kids...meh
Old 05-22-2014, 11:57 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
I'm surprised costs were not awarded, this would seem to me to be the definition of frivolous.
Costs should have been ordered against both parties and all the lawyers involved. The fact that lawyers even took on this matter and brought forward and application for such nonsense is concerning. As officers of the court you would hope that professionals would simply refuse to take on such nonsense from their clients and refuse to represent them.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:15 AM

FS-CV is on a distinguished road

This case is solved in less than 2 years because it was tried as Summary Judgement Motion.

In my case, Justice Morgan heard my regular motion in 2012. Morgan J. is very reasonable and GREAT judge.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:19 AM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
Costs should have been ordered against both parties and all the lawyers involved. The fact that lawyers even took on this matter and brought forward and application for such nonsense is concerning. As officers of the court you would hope that professionals would simply refuse to take on such nonsense from their clients and refuse to represent them.
To be honest, it sounded like an exercise that would have been done in my law class, and I think the prof would have failed anyone who said there was a case worthy of taking to court. But my course was decades ago, and perhaps we have gravitated slightly more to the US model of a litigious society.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:58 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
To be honest, it sounded like an exercise that would have been done in my law class, and I think the prof would have failed anyone who said there was a case worthy of taking to court. But my course was decades ago, and perhaps we have gravitated slightly more to the US model of a litigious society.
Excellent point! The lawyers involved shouldn't have made it through law school... Maybe it is a failing of the educational system that we are putting lawyers through to obtain their registrations to practice law.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:24 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Any lawyer taking on a case like this one is equal to an ''ambulance chaser''. Obviously in it for the $$$. I mean who gives a flying fluck about justice in this case? I know that one can get health insurance for dogs nowadays .... maybe now they will come up with doggie barristers lol!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:48 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Well I'm not surprised by this in the least. Just reading of all the squabbling that people particpate on this forum leads me to surmise that if you have money, a desire to act like an idiot in court, then there is most definitely a lawyer out there who will be your advocate and a judge who will hear your case.

Lawyers are merely guns-for-hire. Judges (who are lawyers) should be held accountable for hearing these sorts of cases. Both parties in this matter should have been assessed 'nonsense' fines IMO.

Judge should have his ass kicked off the bench for wasting tax dollars - he's probably a neighbour.

Last edited by arabian; 05-24-2014 at 10:53 PM.