Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2016, 04:56 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road
Default Ignorance is Bliss

Look at some of the guys here
Child-care costs in Canada among highest in the world, OECD says - Business - CBC News

Letting their wives stay at home because their entire income would just go to childcare. Not realizing that they are creating an annual liability equivalent to 50% of their net income of their best years..

People still don't know...
Old 10-21-2016, 05:22 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
Look at some of the guys here
Child-care costs in Canada among highest in the world, OECD says - Business - CBC News

Letting their wives stay at home because their entire income would just go to childcare. Not realizing that they are creating an annual liability equivalent to 50% of their net income of their best years..

People still don't know...
This is a decision made by both people in the relationship.
Why doesn't the husband stay home? Answer is pretty obvious - higher income earner works.

I sincerely believe that there exists a large disparity of wages between men and women.

If I were male I would strongly support wage parity for women in all industries. This isn't likely to happen in my or your lifetime but you can certainly implant the seeds in your children of equal pay for work of equal value and the importance of higher education for your daughters.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:22 PM

undersc0re is on a distinguished road

In my industry the women get paid exactly the same as the men, they also get treated a lot better than the men when it comes to looking after them when family situations make it difficult to do the normal job and they bend over backwards to keep them working one way or another even if it means kicking out a guy who has 30 more years in out of his job for her who maybe has been around 1 year or 5 years. I think its great that they treat them equally in pay and help to keep them working through difficult situation but I also see the females get taken care of much much better than the men. I guess it just has to be that way to change things over time...eventually at this rate hopefully everyone in every situation gets treated equally.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersc0re View Post
In my industry the women get paid exactly the same as the men, they also get treated a lot better than the men when it comes to looking after them when family situations make it difficult to do the normal job and they bend over backwards to keep them working one way or another even if it means kicking out a guy who has 30 more years in out of his job for her who maybe has been around 1 year or 5 years. I think its great that they treat them equally in pay and help to keep them working through difficult situation but I also see the females get taken care of much much better than the men. I guess it just has to be that way to change things over time...eventually at this rate hopefully everyone in every situation gets treated equally.
In your industry and a few others this may very well be true but it certainly doesn't hold true for other employers/industries. Perhaps the current push to higher minimum wage would help/not help?

One huge problem is the increase of part-time jobs (no benefits) all over the country. Who fills those part-time jobs? Predominantly women and students. I can see how unions get their momentum with this sort of thing going on.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:36 PM

hopefull is on a distinguished road

Really....how many times have we read it from posters who said their wives refused to go back to work after kid was of school age? Point here....once you are married, it's hard to win the argument when a wife decides she doesn't want to go back to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
This is a decision made by both people in the relationship.
Why doesn't the husband stay home? Answer is pretty obvious - higher income earner works.

I sincerely believe that there exists a large disparity of wages between men and women.

If I were male I would strongly support wage parity for women in all industries. This isn't likely to happen in my or your lifetime but you can certainly implant the seeds in your children of equal pay for work of equal value and the importance of higher education for your daughters.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:39 PM

Perhaps it's a case of people not going to university, or ending up with a degree that is marketable???? History, arts, music, aesthetics is hardly going to earn you mega bux

The men and women in my field also get paid the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
In your industry and a few others this may very well be true but it certainly doesn't hold true for other employers/industries. Perhaps the current push to higher minimum wage would help/not help?

One huge problem is the increase of part-time jobs (no benefits) all over the country. Who fills those part-time jobs? Predominantly women and students. I can see how unions get their momentum with this sort of thing going on.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:15 PM

Bellbaby is on a distinguished road

I agree with Links though... I have found in the past few months, if you've been through a recent separation/divorce, the people have quite a bit of knowledge in regards to law, costs, support, access, etc. Obviously.

But if someone has not been through it, they know absolutely nothing. They don't realize how they set themselves up. I'm the girl and I don't know if I'd ever be involved in a serious relationship with liabilities again. My son's pediatrician said "Prenup - Solid prenups are the building blocks to a lifelong happy, healthy relationship. Without the prenup, you're guaranteed an average of seven years of wedded bliss, followed by a lifetime of migraines and hemorrhoids"
Old 10-23-2016, 05:43 AM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

HAha, there are no prenups in Canada.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
HAha, there are no prenups in Canada.
There are pre-nuptial as well as post-nuptial agreements in Canada - check CanLII for samples.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:35 AM

How did this conversation come about? You also know that prenups can be tossed out of the window in some circumstances e.g. if a partner becomes disabled / serious health issues....a Judge will struggle to let the current prenup stand based on the new issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellbaby View Post
I agree with Links though... I have found in the past few months, if you've been through a recent separation/divorce, the people have quite a bit of knowledge in regards to law, costs, support, access, etc. Obviously.

But if someone has not been through it, they know absolutely nothing. They don't realize how they set themselves up. I'm the girl and I don't know if I'd ever be involved in a serious relationship with liabilities again. My son's pediatrician said "Prenup - Solid prenups are the building blocks to a lifelong happy, healthy relationship. Without the prenup, you're guaranteed an average of seven years of wedded bliss, followed by a lifetime of migraines and hemorrhoids"