Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2015, 09:44 AM

stripes is on a distinguished road

The other concern I would have about lawyers is shilling for business. We've already had a few such incidents - "I had the same problem as you, but then I found this amazing lawyer in [insert city] who sorted it out for me! PM me and I'll send you the name!". However, if these are people you know personally and they're not looking to drum up clients, their knowledge would be welcome.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:11 AM

The Iceberg is on a distinguished road

What kinda lawyer would snoop around a forum to secretly refer people to himself? Especially because Canada is in need for more FL lawyers where many leave this job and move on to real estate and other better paying jobs.I dont have a link but I read it in local newspaper a couple years back. Googling will confirm it.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:05 AM

Reality is on a distinguished road

Not meaning to be offensive but I too found this forum to be a wealth of excellent information years ago however in the last couple of years I find it is information that people "think" or have "heard" to be true. It is more what posters think makes sense which unfortunately is not how family law works in my experience.
I am being taken back to court for the 17th time over 10 years. I have been through full trial and numerous motions all self rep'd over the years and do enjoy lurking and reading the various opinions and glad the site is here. I do take everything on here with a gain of salt as everyone should. Keep posting!!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:57 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Realty - it might be of benefit to many posters if you were to perhaps chime in more often and point out your personal reality of family law as a self-represented litigant. My experience in family law has been quite different from many posters but I keep in mind that, more often than not, posters are residents of Ontario and I do know that things can differ province to province.

In the end would you agree that many rulings from the bench do come down to the judge's discretion? These decisions should be sound and based on case law - of which we can find on CanLii.

One small, but important difference between Ontario and Alberta for you to note is that when a judge determines spousal support (a topic which I have personal experience with - certainly not professional), in Alberta the judge does not have to stipulate a reason for diverting from the SSAG - in Ontario, should a judge not follow the SSAG, the judge must give written reason. "I believe" this latter statement to be true as I was told this by my lawyer. This may or may not be correct as I cannot find case law to back up this 'rule of thumb' statement. I take the information as being correct as my lawyer has many years experience under his belt as well as having graduated from law school. I don't believe I have ever posted this information until now as I cannot corroborate it.

What I am saying is that people ultimately have to do their homework. It matters little if you are self-represented or represented by competent counsel - one should most definitely be independently convinced of laws and matters pertaining to their own individual family law matter. In my opinion that is.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:04 AM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
Not meaning to be offensive but I too found this forum to be a wealth of excellent information years ago however in the last couple of years I find it is information that people "think" or have "heard" to be true. It is more what posters think makes sense which unfortunately is not how family law works in my experience.
I am being taken back to court for the 17th time over 10 years. I have been through full trial and numerous motions all self rep'd over the years and do enjoy lurking and reading the various opinions and glad the site is here. I do take everything on here with a gain of salt as everyone should. Keep posting!!
no one here has ever claimed to be an expert in family law. In fact we are just everyday people who have had to deal with the aspects of divorce.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:14 AM

LovingFather32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
no one here has ever claimed to be an expert in family law. In fact we are just everyday people who have had to deal with the aspects of divorce.
Exactly. Every case differs in many different ways. Having a vast knowledge of the FLR's and being cognizant of the applicable case law or what court rooms are currently leaning towards are something many lawyers can help with and that self-reps are learning as they go.

So many of us share similar experiences in court. It's very useful to compare cases, judgements, caselaw used and sift through what was useful/effective and what was not.

Experts or not, both my lawyer and I have used many ideas that have bounced around my thread from non-lawyers that have assisted my case tremendously. This site is fantastic.