Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums (http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   How to improve this forum? (http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f7/how-improve-forum-18561/)

The Iceberg 01-20-2015 02:47 PM

How to improve this forum?

I think some of most knowledable ppl have left the forum. There are still people left who have great knowledge in certain areas of family law but 2-3 years ago we had more people with knowledge.

Those that help others currently are the forum holders. But what if they leave too? I dont wanna name them because some may feel offended but IMO there are upto 5 regulars with knowledge.

It would be nice if we got like 5 more people to help others. I dont know of any other family law forums like this one in canada. I asked 2 canadians, 1 on yt other in yahoo to join here but they never did.

But at least on the bright side we do have a rich forum when you click the search button you can find almost everything :)

Links17 02-10-2015 08:55 PM

In the world of internet information sharing the next step from here is to setup a wiki....

The Iceberg 02-11-2015 03:49 AM

Perhaps I wasnt able to find a good, non bias website and all I did find was weak, few if any members websites, mostly from the states (if you take out dads or moms only). In 2008/09 I was desperately searching for forums and IMO this one is the "richest" divorce support forum in English language.

Serene 02-11-2015 04:20 PM

There are lots of biases here. Lots. Everyone's view points stem from their standing/starting points. Then, some members can look at issues objectively and irrationally, others already have their mind made up that they dislike first/second spouses or the individual is a fool for ponying up support in excess of what *may* be awarded. All that to say, it is what it is.

Dadx5 02-11-2015 06:05 PM

I find the forum has a lot of opinions. That to me can be a good thing because it makes me look at things from different angles. I think sometimes you have to filter through the advice. I do agree though there seems to be a handful of regulars with a rich knowledge base and would be great to have more but along with that will also come a lot of trolls, and people with very little knowledge. I agree with Serene....It is what it is!

mcdreamy 02-11-2015 08:09 PM

I 'outed' myself to two friends recently, who are FLA lawyers, to ask if they would consider joining and offer some advice in their spare time. They were concerned about anonymity and potential liability.

Does anyone actually tell their lawyer they are participants in this forum? I think each and every time this website is provided to a lawyer, we have a chance at one perhaps contributing. Jeff could easily, in the background and privately, check the creds before confirming lawyer status. I'm not sure that would deal with their concerns re: potential liability.

standing on the sidelines 02-11-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdreamy (Post 191009)
I 'outed' myself to two friends recently, who are FLA lawyers, to ask if they would consider joining and offer some advice in their spare time. They were concerned about anonymity and potential liability.

Does anyone actually tell their lawyer they are participants in this forum? I think each and every time this website is provided to a lawyer, we have a chance at one perhaps contributing. Jeff could easily, in the background and privately, check the creds before confirming lawyer status. I'm not sure that would deal with their concerns re: potential liability.

If they are not hired by someone then would there be a liability issue? They would be on here offering advice from the limited facts that are presented on the board, they would be giving their opinion just like the rest of us. Maybe some sort of disclaimer stating that advice here isn't legal advice and the forum and members are not liable??

mcdreamy 02-11-2015 08:49 PM

Standing - I think it was a personal comfort level on the advice, as they can always disclaim they are monkeys on a keyboard, I believe their major concern was anonymity. Of which there is no guarantee whatsoever once you start posting.

And frankly, if someone can be successful in a lawsuit against Tim Horton's for coffee served too hot, there are no limits, are there.

Hopefully I managed to tweak some interest. I'm debating hitting a few others up... but that said, the members of this forum can reach, on a provincial level, many many more. With accurate advice, this forum could become a powerhouse.

arabian 02-11-2015 08:59 PM

I have to say that I do enjoy the unencumbered flow of people's opinions and I find it interesting to read of how people manage to get through their day-to-day lives during divorce/separation.

I suspect that the ODF has been logged onto many time by lawyers who practice family law.

We have been fortunate to have OrleansLawyer contribute many times.

The Iceberg 02-12-2015 03:32 AM

When I told a lawyer 2 years ago that I use this forum he said "that must be a good website you are using". The reason I told him was because he was impressed by my affidavit which was actually for most part written by a couple of people here that helped me. Prior to that he assumed it was written by me alone. No I said. ODF has been mentioned on canlii as well.