Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2017, 10:54 PM

Stillbreathing is on a distinguished road
Default How do you forgive the family court system?

Just wondering how others have forgiven our corrupt family court system and moved on? Iím disgusted with the judges, lawyers, assessors, etc. Iím not mad at my ex. He canít help himself because of his catastrophic brain injury... but the judges had the power to put controls on him so the children were protected. All they did was put permanent supervised access in place but have allowed other things to spin out with devastating consequences. 7 years and not yet allowed to get on the trial list! Insane!

My question is, how have others come to grips with our horrific court system, forgiven them and moved on?
Old 10-29-2017, 05:55 PM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

I am just beginning the whole process, and this forum has sure opened my eyes. Is there anything you would have done differently from the beginning to make it easier on your family?
Old 10-29-2017, 06:47 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillbreathing View Post
Just wondering how others have forgiven our corrupt family court system and moved on? Iím disgusted with the judges, lawyers, assessors, etc. Iím not mad at my ex. He canít help himself because of his catastrophic brain injury... but the judges had the power to put controls on him so the children were protected. All they did was put permanent supervised access in place but have allowed other things to spin out with devastating consequences. 7 years and not yet allowed to get on the trial list! Insane!

My question is, how have others come to grips with our horrific court system, forgiven them and moved on?
Honestly I think the only thing that's saved my sanity is that I didn't get divorced until my youngest was 11. So now, she's turned 18 and this current court action is the last one I'm probably going to have. There's literally nothing else he can do since neither of my kids has any contact with him at this point. It drives me nuts when I think how much money I've spent on nothing but my ex's conflict driven lunacy. There's nothing to protect anyone from litigation and the costs associated.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:00 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road

what does it take to for the court to label someone as a vexatious litigant?
Old 10-30-2017, 02:02 AM

Stillbreathing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate331 View Post
I am just beginning the whole process, and this forum has sure opened my eyes. Is there anything you would have done differently from the beginning to make it easier on your family?
Yes. I would never have hired a lawyer and would not have played nice because you get punished whether or not you are reasonable and follow court orders. What I have learned after 7 years is that judges make the rules up as they go. I would have never gone to court in person but sent somebody in my place. Too stressful and accomplishes nothing but to feed the judgeís egos. Judges treated my ex and I and our children with disdain, disrespect and contempt. Criminals are treated with more dignity and have more rights than family law litigants!
Old 10-30-2017, 09:59 AM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

I'll move on but won't forgive unless there is drastic reform which I do not expect to see in my life time.

What will I do? One is to not remarry, ever. And if anyone asks, recommend the same.

I have nothing against committed relationships, and realize that you can end up being common law "remarried" without your knowledge or consent, but I won't have anything to do with the marriage industry and the resulting divorce industry.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:49 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

This weekend I found out my fathers pension has been garnished for the last 20 years. A family member who was sort of sympathetic to him told me this and I reminded them that my mom had to take a lien out on our house for ten grand to get child support from him because he worked for cash under the table. The garnishment was pittance compared to what he would have been ordered to pay for cs and post secondary. I have zero pity for him and am glad he was finally caught.

As for my partner, he spent 15 grand getting an agreement and his equalization which was worthless since the ex refused to follow the agreement and is allowed to file a new motion for money she is not legally entitled to. Which means he will have to spend another $5000 to defend himself against this bullshit where she will more than likely be told he owes her nothing. Plus the year of court dates and days of worrying about what she is planning. He will argue for costs but the emotional toll will be astronomical especially considering his kids think he is an asshole for taking an equalization and defending himself against this bs.

I am all for a legal system to protect people who need it but can never forgive the fact that there is not more in place to stop this bs before it happens. How my partners ex can get away with filing a motion that has no legs is ridiculous.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:25 PM

zanman is on a distinguished road

Yes I agree its been a rocky road so for , But I actually have my First CC in the New year. the whole process so far has been so sad and so much money wasted
Old 10-30-2017, 06:15 PM

piggybanktoex is on a distinguished road

Cured me of marriage.....never ever again.....once was enough!

Nobody will ever get that kind of destructive power over me again.

The law is an ass to a very big degree.

Turns out that meals and laundry are not that hard to do......certainly not worth the money, time, and health it cost me.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:58 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

There certainly are some of us who have had a long history of litigation.

Hindsight is futile. I am sure none of us anticipated being in perpetual state of litigation when we started our respective journeys. We failed in thinking our well-paid, well-meaning lawyers would prevail even when faced with inept judges and unscrupulous opposing counsel. Sometimes it's not about how much money but I think comes down to simple luck.... luck in judges who hear cases. Some judges are willing to put a stop to things and others (most I think) merely want to pass the case on to another judge.

I do not expect to have my litigation end anytime soon. It will likely carry on for years on end. I do have the option of throwing in the towel. Now that I am self-represented it merely comes down to filling out forms and submitting them. It becomes repetitive with lots of "cut and paste" so I'm up to the task.

Best thing is to live well and contribute to forums such as this to warn others not to be naive (like we were) and to always weigh costs against gains and ascertain if proceeding is worth it in the end. People have to self-educate themselves as much as possible and forever be watchful of lawyers who tell them what they want to hear instead of truth of costs and time it will take for outcome. Perhaps more has to be written on this forum about how to negotiate get out-of-court settlements?