Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2014, 08:44 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I loved Halloween as a kid and while I don't relish the idea of answering the door to anyone I don't know, I think it's just something we have to do if we want to live in a community with other people/neighbours.

I never find myself feeling pressured at Halloween whatsoever. Pressured for what? Buying some cheapo candy? Nuts. When I was a younger adult (many years ago) I used to like going out at Halloween to watch the bar-hoppers all dressed up. I get a kick out of people's creativity when it comes to costumes (young and old).

I guess if you don't want to participate you can lock your doors, shut off your lights and go hide in the basement.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Banned

Just'in is on a distinguished road

I loved dressing up as a kid. I'm glad that Halloween has become an "excuse" for silliness and fun. I don't shell out candy. I shell out home-made crafts that I make with my kids. It's always a hit and my house usually gets hit up first. I kid you not. Through the process, I get to spend time with my kids and teach them that "giving" a treat is sometimes the better reward. I've never bought store-bought candy and I doubt I ever will. Also, when I return from trick-or-treating with my kids, and I shell out the treats with my kids in tow, I ask for a TRICK. It's about the spirit of silly fun. dress up, be silly, and spending the time with the kids preparing for an occasion that traditionally has been reserved for kids. It's that simple. It's THEIR big day of the year. And now we can join in too. But only if we choose.

My 2 cents.

As for Valentines? Well, my view on that, after being bitten twice in marriage, no. Love should not be celebrated superficially once per year. Love is an experience the whle year through. Again my 2 cents.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:59 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

I don't celebrate my birthday and don't want gifts but I like any day that gets me out of work early or off completely to spend time with my kids and significant other.

Holidays are what you make them...if they're important to you, you make them about spending time with family and friends.

So I still don't understand the statement that Halloween is a celebration of all that's bad and evil in the world. When I look outside on Halloween, I see a bunch of kids dressed up in cute costumes, having fun and saying trick or treat to their neighbours. And I see groups of parents walking their kids around and talking to other parents. What's bad or evil about that?
Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just'in View Post
I loved dressing up as a kid. I'm glad that Halloween has become an "excuse" for silliness and fun. I don't shell out candy. I shell out home-made crafts that I make with my kids. It's always a hit and my house usually gets hit up first. I kid you not. Through the process, I get to spend time with my kids and teach them that "giving" a treat is sometimes the better reward. I've never bought store-bought candy and I doubt I ever will. Also, when I return from trick-or-treating with my kids, and I shell out the treats with my kids in tow, I ask for a TRICK. It's about the spirit of silly fun. dress up, be silly, and spending the time with the kids preparing for an occasion that traditionally has been reserved for kids. It's that simple. It's THEIR big day of the year. And now we can join in too. But only if we choose.

My 2 cents.

As for Valentines? Well, my view on that, after being bitten twice in marriage, no. Love should not be celebrated superficially once per year. Love is an experience the whle year through. Again my 2 cents.
Exactly how Halloween should be celebrated, although I admire the whole homemade craft bit. I must admit I did the candy bit with my kids.

But now its not just kids its all about commerical hype and adult parties. " they took paradise and put up a parking lot".......

Anyway, each to their own is fine. I just wanted to voice my opinion on Halloween and thats okay. For all you Dads and Moms out there who will take out their kidlets tomorrow night have fun. To all those adults who will just put on some makeup and use the anominity as an excuse to raise hell and drink goodluck with that as well. Not my style.. I hear Halloween is a good night to go shopping as the stores are empty. So I am up for some,shopping therapy.

Last edited by Beachnana; 10-30-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Banned

Just'in is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnana View Post
I hear Halloween is a good night to go shopping as the stores are empty. So I am up for some,shopping therapy.
Well, then you'll be ahead of us for that Xmas shopping then! By a day! No biggie. If you don't dig Halloween. Personally, I love it. An excuse to be silly, dress up and be a big (fat) kid again!

The crafts I make with my kids are nothing fancy. I have an art background and always look for ways my kids can be creative. So one year we did pumpkin pom poms mad out of orange yarn and black felt faces got glued on. Another year, I printed out a basic template for black felt drawings. The kids filled in the theme of that year (Dora). When they were done with their drawings, I photocopied them. Together we rolled them up and tied orange and black ribbon on them. We also gave out packets of 3 crayons to go with it. Other years we've done basic origami.

MUCH cheaper than buying candy depending on where you live.

But planning the treat of the year with my kids has always been the most sought-after annual event that they start talking about mid-summer. I enjoy it. I extend myself for my own selfish reasons and because I enjoy it; the time with my kids. Not everyone can do that and there's nothing wrong with that.

Enjoy shopping tomorrow night.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:11 AM

stripes is on a distinguished road

FWIW Halloween isn't pagan in origin - it started off as "All Hallows Eve", the night before November 1, which was All Saints (Hallows) Day in the medieval Christian calendar. If I remember right, the idea was that the spirits of the departed saints were supposed to walk the earth on All Hallows' Eve, which eventually turned into kids in costumes running around. In some countries like Mexico, Nov 1 is still celebrated as the Day of the Dead (Dia de Los Muertos), and people go to cemeteries to decorate graves and have parties to commemorate the deceased. Our Halloween is a kid-ified version of the religious holiday.

In case anyone's interested, I'm not really keen on any holidays - too much artificial pressure to buy things. I try to do things which are fun for the kidlet, but don't place too much emphasis on any one particular day.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:39 AM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

I've never been a big fan of Halloween. My sisters (twins) were born on Halloween, so it was never really Halloween, it was always their birthday.

My sisters love it though. So does my wife and my daughter. They get right geared up for it, and much like Christmas, I like watching them enjoy themselves.

I do see people go all out on it though, which is fine if that is there thing. I feel everyone has a holiday they go bigger on then others. For most it is Christmas, others Halloween and some it is Easter. Now, these are the traditional North American holidays, which are all I really know about.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:33 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
So for the 3 of you, none of your spouses get you anything for birthday or valentine's day and never have? Just curious...
my x bought me my one and only leather coat for my 40th as he said it was a milestone birthday. Other then that one time we didn't exchange gifts etc.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:40 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
my x bought me my one and only leather coat for my 40th as he said it was a milestone birthday. Other then that one time we didn't exchange gifts etc.
No gifts exchanged here on valentines or birthdays either for each other currently (or in the first). If I want something for myself year round, I purchase it. We do make an effort to cook a nice dinner/hang out.

Hallowe'en isn't my favorite holiday (mine is Christmas), but I agree, each holiday is what you make of it with your family. When kidlet was young we started the pumpkin patch visits, planning the jack carving, etc. A good week of family/together time can go into the final rush of 3 hours of trick/treating. We still spent last night carving funny faces and laughing - and kidlet is almost 20.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:45 PM

Craigerst is on a distinguished road

Fwiw. I have this desire and thankfully it was mostly kept by my ex that I wanted my birthday to be just another day. For some sadistic reason it made me think of the things I had not yet accomplished in life yet. I would put on a cheery happy face for everyone but how can you celebrate getting freaking older? Are you not just one year closer to dead? My 2 cents.