Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2015, 08:11 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough
Default Good Start to the Week

I just got back from spending the afternoon at my lawyers office cleaning my files. We through 95% of the stuff out and I did the same thing with the files that I had at home.

It was cathartic and awesome!

Yesterday, my husband's kid texted him to let him know that his ex-wife was in the process of getting engaged. He's paying over 4k a month in SS which ends in their agreement as soon as she gets married or lives with someone.

Damn good week so far!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:24 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a great week for you for sure. I would dearly love to purge all of my files.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:48 AM

I had to keep my final orders but most of it went. It really was a cleansing experience. Going through it, I honestly could not believe how much paper the whole thing accumulated and it seemed like it happened a 100 years ago.

Hopefully, I won't end up back in court for any reason and acquire more crap.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:51 AM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

Congrats PH! I think we all wish the same thing.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:13 AM

Thank you very much!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:26 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
I had to keep my final orders but most of it went. It really was a cleansing experience. Going through it, I honestly could not believe how much paper the whole thing accumulated and it seemed like it happened a 100 years ago.

Hopefully, I won't end up back in court for any reason and acquire more crap.
To quote the Honourable Madame Justice Judy:
You want me to deal with something that happened X years ago sir?! Absolutely not. I refuse to!
Relevance dies fast in family courts with the passage of time. So you are wise to purge it all really.

Glad you are doing well!

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 05-12-2015, 12:30 PM

Thank you very much Tayken!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:41 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

The week after I obtained my divorce judgment, I went through the mountain of paperwork that I accumulated over 3 years of litigation. Most of it was copies of worthless affidavits and garbage that is on file at court.

Felt good to get rid of it ... I kept only the important stuff : the divorce decree itself and the settlement.

Funny thing was that the brunt of it was Ex's lawyers (3 of them) who were trying to catch up on Ex's file - that's where the money went. A lot of back and forth letters to basically repeat the same old issues.

Congrats on weeding out the mess!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:02 PM

Thank you Janibel.

What was really weird was when I was going through the stack, I kept thinking about the amount of energy that I expended trying to get it all together for all the court dates and most of it didn't even really get reviewed.

And if my ex had just settled in the very beginning with the offer I originally presented, he would have done far better than he ended up doing after over 5 yrs of litigation and legal bills.

Such a meaningless waste.

They should have litigation document shredding ceremonies.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:25 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
Thank you Janibel.

What was really weird was when I was going through the stack, I kept thinking about the amount of energy that I expended trying to get it all together for all the court dates and most of it didn't even really get reviewed.

And if my ex had just settled in the very beginning with the offer I originally presented, he would have done far better than he ended up doing after over 5 yrs of litigation and legal bills.

Such a meaningless waste.

They should have litigation document shredding ceremonies.
Yes ^^^, same here as with most cases. We spend hours fussing, fretting, preparing and for what? Sleepless nights worrying over affidavits that will be ignored by the judge, accumulating worthless "evidence", motion after motion of useless/unenforceable agreements ... yes, it is a meaningless waste of energy and horrendously expensive.

I wish separated newbies would read these posts and understand the pointlessness of not settling early on. If not for your finances, then do it for the kids sake.

Lawyers will promise you the moon and the stars, truth is you'll end up with 50% of whatever is left of the marital pie (if you're lucky that is).