Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2017, 09:28 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough
Default Gardening

Any gardeners on here? Im looking for a Canadian website that sells bulbs, seeds, tubers etc. Im in love with some plants called celosias and sweet peas, poppies and dahlias. Unfortunately the limited selection of stores in our hood don't carry many different varieties. Anyone ever ordered stuff online and whats a good site?
Old 02-08-2017, 01:34 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Any gardeners on here? Im looking for a Canadian website that sells bulbs, seeds, tubers etc. Im in love with some plants called celosias and sweet peas, poppies and dahlias. Unfortunately the limited selection of stores in our hood don't carry many different varieties. Anyone ever ordered stuff online and whats a good site?
Vesey's is a company that does fundraising by having kids sell bulb orders. I've gotten lovely stuff from then. See if someone you know is selling it?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:50 PM

Rioe, you are incredible. A quick look and I am ready to place an order. Dreaming of spring is in full effect!!
Old 02-08-2017, 10:28 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

check the zone (although you guys probably don't have that much of a problem as Alberta gardeners). I once put in a pretty big order and didn't turn out for me and I recall being upset of the date of delivery.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:12 AM

Yep, the good news is Im in a part of Canada with very mild weather. Our only problem is one part of the backyard gets complete sun and the rest is hit or miss. I have to find lots of flowering shade plants otherwise I have a yard full of zombie plants!
Old 02-09-2017, 12:34 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

I second Vesey's and would also recommend Stokes.

For sun/part sun, try blue honeywort - gorgeous.

For shade, try the heuchera family. There are tonnes of varieties, both annual and perennial. Bleeding hearts, hostas, coleus, astilbe, begonias and bush lillies are also nice.

And for the love of dog, if you aren't already - get on Pinterest!
Old 02-09-2017, 01:29 PM

Oh blink. Ive been Pinterests bitch since it launched.

We have a multitude of hostas and some bleeding hearts. This year Im getting some hydrangeas as I love them and we have semi-acidic soil so we will have colour and fragrance. Also invested in several astilbe plants last year and found the honeywort. Im excited to see them all grow this year.

I will look through stokes too! Thanks for the tips!!!
Old 02-10-2017, 01:27 AM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

Golden hakone grass is our star. Tough, gorgeous, graceful, and complements everything else. Spreads slowly, so you can start with just one clump. Sun or shade, tolerates dryness.