Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2014, 04:22 PM

Straittohell is an unknown quantity at this point

Links, that is crazy. I am sorry that you have to deal with that crap.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:15 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Why would someone do such a nasty thing? What does it achieve? Certainly does make her look smart. Also in years to come when children can reflect back on the milestones in their lives they will know she took this from them.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 AM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

First day pretty much went as expected, but it's interesting to note the contrast with each of my kids.

1 child at pickup has their backpack, and all the first day of school information in their planner, etc. The typical "sign this" forms, the "add your name to the volunteer opportunities" list, the "verify contact information", etc. (Mom #1)

Second child, comes with nothing. Mom didn't let her bring backpack or any school info. (Mom #2) Same old, same old.

Usual Mom #2 gatekeeping, that I always have to circumvent, by going to the school directly. The one thing that may be an issue this year, is child #2 now uses the daily planner, to bring home each day, with her homework outlined, notes from teacher to the parents in it, etc. Hopefully, Mom #2 does not play Gatekeeper with the child's planner as well. She likely will though.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:42 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

My own pet peeve - I wish some schools would get into the 21st century and recognize that not every child has a "primary residence", or a "primary parent contact". 50/50 is common enough these days that it should be reflected on student info forms.

(In D8's case, her "primary residence" is her father's house, which makes some sense because that was the marital residence before the separation, so her records show that as her primary and my address as an "alternate". I'm listed as "parent one" and her father as "parent two". I think this is a reasonable balancing of parental authority, but it overloads the brains of the school admin because the phone number of the "primary residence" is not the same as the numbers of the "primary parent ...).
Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
My own pet peeve - I wish some schools would get into the 21st century and recognize that not every child has a "primary residence", or a "primary parent contact". 50/50 is common enough these days that it should be reflected on student info forms.

(In D8's case, her "primary residence" is her father's house, which makes some sense because that was the marital residence before the separation, so her records show that as her primary and my address as an "alternate". I'm listed as "parent one" and her father as "parent two". I think this is a reasonable balancing of parental authority, but it overloads the brains of the school admin because the phone number of the "primary residence" is not the same as the numbers of the "primary parent ...).
Last year my kids school seemed to deal with this ok after talking to the teachers.

I stayed in the Mat home so for registration purposes it's my address. But they also send a paper home asking for both parents info, which we provide.

They also gave two copies of report cards and other important information.

Although normally only one consent form comes home etc.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:16 PM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

I called youngest child's school today, to setup the same arrangement I had last year - my being able to go by the school office to directly get youngest's duplicate information/sheets/etc. directly from the teacher (so Mom can't play Gatekeeper to information).

Seems like it will be handled easily this year, again.

The funny and helpful thing is...it was the principal who first took my inquiry. That call went easier, once the principal knew who I was, as I also volunteer on the school-parent council. It help's when the principal knows who you are, and has worked with you before. He took message, and said he would have teacher get in contact with me (he also confirmed who the teacher was, as I didn't know yet).

Turns out, the teacher in question, is one who often let's me into the school during early mornings (last year), when I would stop by to get said info. Teacher called me back. Teacher is very willing to do this setup again, this year.

We'll see how it goes this year.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB_ View Post
Last year my kids school seemed to deal with this ok after talking to the teachers.

I stayed in the Mat home so for registration purposes it's my address. But they also send a paper home asking for both parents info, which we provide.

They also gave two copies of report cards and other important information.

Although normally only one consent form comes home etc.
It's actually not such a big deal at my kid's school either - just a minor headache. D8 is with me this week so I got all the forms - offered to add ex's contact details as well as mine to the forms for the school council email listserve and the school directory, but he said he would rather call the school himself and so it.

Report cards are posted online, and each parent is issued a password so we don't have the hassle of making sure we each get the kid's report. Ex and I are pretty good about notifying each other when we fill out consent forms for field trips and other things.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Uh oh, I have a wrinkle. My son has the same teacher from last year, and my ex is not a fan of her and wants to switch. I think that my son was actually being a little difficult last year because it was his first, and I want him and this teacher to have a chance to work together for the first few weeks before we do anything rash.

Anyone else ever had to deal with an ex that wants to switch teachers? We have completely equal say in the matter so she needs my support for something like this.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:38 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

why not do the switch? If the son doesn't like the teacher then he probably will be difficult again. No sense turning him off school so early in the game.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:05 PM

Well, he actually seems to like her. My ex is going off a comment he made 8 months ago and hasn't revisited yet.

I asked him how he felt about being in the teachers class again and he was positive. The problem of course is that my ex never liked this teacher from the beginning, and has also been angling to change our kids school to one that is in her area. This feels like another manoever on her part. I plan to meet with the teacher soon and get a sense of where things are at.

Original question stands, anyone else experienced something like this before?