Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 03:39 PM

John is on a distinguished road
Default Al Paid Up

I've been paying CS and SS automatically for 2+ years that is not court ordered. I have never been late or missed a payment (online banking does it automatically).

When I got a new girlfriend, my ex sent me papers that she had registered with the FRO. Not quite sure if this is bad or not yet. Initially the papers suggested (in not so many words) that I'm a deadbeat and they will collect it from me.

Whatever, I suck that up and move on... I make my payments, I know I'm no deadbeat.

Any constructive best practices? Do's and don't for anew FRO guy?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:10 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

Print out all your on-line timely pymts. Send copies to FRO. As for how they word their letters, I have heard they can be quite abrupt. You have nothing to worry about by the sounds of it. I'm wondering if this "move" on your ex's part is somehow a reaction to your new relationship? Silly but possible. Don't let the FRO letter upset you: it souds as though you have done the right thing all along and can easily back that up. I really don't think it's personal in any way. What does sound "personal" is that your ex has taken this measure all of a sudden. Most recipients would be happy to have such good faith and timely pymts extended to them. The only reason I will be in FRO's system soon is b/c my ex is a jerk who doesn't obey court orders, or much of anything for that matter. Good Luck. Cooperate w/FRO, offer to send in proof of all your on-line pymts and go from there.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM

Nadia is on a distinguished road
Default Fro

FRO has made an effort to improve service recently. When you call to speak to a real person (as opposed to the automatic line), you actually get transferred directly to your assigned case worker. If they are unable to take your call, you can leave a message and they actually do get back to you. Often on the same day. This change came in effect as of November 29, 2011.

This beats the days when one used to be waiting in the que for the phone to be answered for an hour or more. Only then to have the call answered by someone who was not familiar with your case file. Depending on who you got, your file was either expediated to the next level for action or you were told quite abruptly that there was nothing FRO could do to help at the moment but to call back later. When you called back several days later, the call was answered by someone else and you had to spend another 15 minutes explaining everything again. Only then to be told all this would be forwarded to your case worker who never called you back.

Last edited by Nadia; 12-14-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:13 PM

runaway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenough View Post
The delay has to do with the judge (from our trial) making her ruling on costs. My lawyer made cost submissions back in oct. Ex's counsel had 30 days to respond. He did. On the very last day. From there: the judge has 30 days (I think) to rule on costs and make it part of the final order. THEN it will go to FRO. Its a nightmare b/c while all this time is passing, FRO will also take several weeks to get the ball rolling. I feel my ex is going to first ignore them, and then mouth off to them. He can afford to pay the CS and SS.

Some lawyers think he got off rather easily. But he will do whatever causes the most aggravation. He has a wife, 2 young kids to support (w/her and she doesn't work outside the home) a home, cars, etc. So.... losing his license or going to jail isn't going to be an option for him. He's so busy being at odds w/me that he refuses to see or accept the facts: the big picture. He is a total headache.
Sounds just like my ex
Old 12-31-2011, 10:33 PM

kat41 is on a distinguished road
Default FRO acted like I was criminal

I am paying CS as a mother with joint custody. My ex collects welfare and could not account for hoe he could afford all expenses for a house and vehicle with long trips to girlfriend on 700 pr month. He works off the books and we are likely at par that way and he kept 90% of household items. I literally have had to buy or be given each and every little thiong, shovel. hose you name it. Anyway with regards to FRO the order was to begin in November. My ex advised me a couple of months later that his case worker at welfare wanted to know when I was going to pay. I spoke with my lawyer who said it would only be a court worker at welfare that wouls look into it and that he would receive forms before I did. By the time I heard from them 6 months had passed and they sent me a harsh letter advising i was in arrears and they would be instigating action. I called and told them that I would send a chq for the total owing as I was expecting it and that i was not delinquent as I had no way to pay!! For the next month I got two-three letters per week from them accusing, threatening and generally convinced I was at fault and considered deadbeat, would contact government etc, it was ridiculous. This went on for a couple of months after I had paid the lump sum and was making regular payments. They would not accept my postdated chqs and I will not agree to direct debit given their accusatory manner. I have to send a chq no later or earlier than 14 days too soon or they will return it.
When I continued to get letters about the initial sum being in arrears and had spoken with them at least four times and they advised they knew that and didnt know why i continued to receive these letters, They did send me a statement acknowledging no outstanding or delinquency as I requested and apparently if I ever ask again in my lifetime I will have to pay 35 dollars even though the mistake was on their part. Also my husband is to provide me with notice of assessment as I did, he did not. I was on medical leave and am sure when my working income is on return they will want more. Given the situation that is unfair as he has loads of undeclared income and my lawyer advised it would mean 7000 more in fees to have a juge impude his income. I also have my son on my dental for which I pay family rates and had to drop medical to pay the support, that was the arrangement made. When I had to use his welfare coverage they wouldnt cover the medication he was prescribed anyway and I had to jump thru hoops to use it meanwhile with the dental all he needs to do is take my son and the ins company is billed, no hassle at all for him. Iit was a privacy issue that my son was listed as being elegible for RX coverage thru his dad so he would have to go to store to get meds. They wouldnt cover it anyway. Hard to believe someone would want support over an excellent full health benefits paxkage for their child. I know the dental will be more necessary as I have a good plan 100% and 70% orthodontics so there it is. FRO really does not communicate in a polite or respectful manner and it is ridiculous they can harass someone then expect them to pay to have their mistake cleared up!!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM

I can't tell for sure if the stamped/certified copies of final orders for support and costs are FRO enforced. I know the CS/SS order IS - but not sure about the Costs Order - payable to me: by June 11. (Judge gave him 6 months). All the stamped costs order says is due: June 11 (in full) and interest of 3% applicable. My (former) lawyer says he "thinks" the costs are FRO-enforced.

The other sentence I'm not clear on, is on the CS/SS order it states "Support Deduction Order to be issued." (When, and by whom?) The Courts did not request a list of his clients (income sources) to my knowledge. He is self-employed.

So I called FRO once I rec'd the stamped orders and they said to send it in to them b/c the Courts may take another 3-4 months to do so. So I did - that same day (about a week and a half ago).

I'm estimating that FRO will begin enforcing (or "trying" to) by about June. I know initially, that ex will completely ignore any/all contact from them. Should be interesting.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM

kat41 is on a distinguished road

Hi as the payor of support I can tell you that if you do not have an employer to be deducted from they simply ask you to complete a direct debit or in my case I sent chqs. It really is the only way they can as you cant deduct from income unless it is beig earned from a regular source(employer) that does deductions as needed for EI taxes etc. All but the current one were returned so I have to send every month. As I mentioned the current chq was issued to FRO and it took six or so months and I paid from the date in full then monthly. I had an awful time with them as they sent me close to 20 letters and I was not in arrears as I paid as soon as I had the info. It was nasty and totally mixed up on their part so likely they will put a great deal of pressure on payor. Also if you dont have employer send you something saying they will take it from Her Majesty the Queen which means federal government monies the person may be receiving. I was on LTD from my job at the time but havent sent them any info about my employer. Honestly I think it is personal and if someone is always up to date they should not have to have garnishment as it looks like you didnt pay. FRO told me that is the way it is now done. As I joint parent and given the variables it is not really equitable but my lawyer suggested I agree as anyone on social benefits will be hauled to court over it anyway, costing more in the long run. My ex now receives disability so much higher and I have extra expenses, mortgage etc he doesnt. I had come to terms with it but FROs treatment of me was horrendous and I did nothing to desrve it. It was so stressful after going through all that prior! Given there mistakes I wasnt about to do direct debit who knows, initially they tried to get lump payment from me twice!!
The payor will face numerous problems if he fails to pay, I assume given my experience and some of their threats. They continue to request direct from my account and I continue to mail chqs. I believe that likely you will get your money if the payor is capable of it
Old 05-26-2012, 09:20 AM

Just an update;
FRO only rec'd the stamped orders in Mid-March, 2012. So, I call every week just to see if anything is happening. The answer: Nope. I'm told "another 2 weeks" or so. The (fro) explanation being that there's about 3 months for them to process and scan the info into their system. The other thing I've learned quickly is that you get a different answer every time you call. So.. what I do understand is that - they have ALL my info (orders and Registration info) but it is not yet assigned a case worker/7-digit number. ** fingers tapping ** I guess we'll see if I get "assigned" a case number. (They called me April 23rd just to confirm they rec'd everything)

On a positive note: I do find they answer the phone quickly and have never been on hold for more than 3 or 4 minutes. I don't know why I'm so 'excited' for their involvement anyway - he's not going to cooperate w/them and it will be a rough ride, even with their hands in this.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 PM

FRO has finally made contact w/me and sent the welcome package. Case #, pin # (mailed separately) - the whole ball of wax. Now the long wait is over but a new 'wait' begins. So the way they do it now, is each person has their own (FRO) case worker. Apparently, that was not the way they did things before. Have had 1 brief chat with my case worker. So far, so good. I know ex won't cooperate so I'm sure they will need to pull out all their enforcement tools in no time. I've taken the liberty of faxing FRO a list of most of ex's income sources. He is self-employed. They say they have to "give him the benefit of the doubt" - that he'll just cooperate. It aint going to happen.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:22 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

In Alberta "costs" gets added to your s/s or c/s and shows up on statement when you sign in as charges payable by ex.