Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road
Default F.R.O. - any positive feedback?

I'm hearing some negative things about the FRO. Just curious - and hopeful- does anyone have any really positive things to say about them, or care to briefly share a personal experience in which FRO was worth its weight in gold??
Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 AM

scarycheri is on a distinguished road

I have been with FRO for quite sometime. My current husband chose to register with them as well after his ex would wait 3 or 4 months before cashing child support cheques. It is a pain at times when changes need to be made as they require a court order to do so & it can take up to 60 days for them to process the changes however they have eliminated the hassell of having to chase for money or in my husbands case...chase his ex to cash a cheque. Previous to Nov 21st when placing a call to FRO one would be directed to the first available agent who would familiarize themselves with your case by reading notes left on your file. Now when one calls you are directed to the agent assigned to your case. I have called a few times to talk to them but they were busy with another client and was directed to their voice mail. The message assures that they will return your call within two business days. I didn't leave a message so I am not sure how true that statement is. On a whole I would recommend FRO. I get regular payments directly deposited in my bank account & my ex can't decide to stop paying me because he is mad at me.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:15 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenough View Post
I'm hearing some negative things about the FRO. Just curious - and hopeful- does anyone have any really positive things to say about them, or care to briefly share a personal experience in which FRO was worth its weight in gold??
Given two reasonable parents using the FRO shouldn't be a problem. The problems arise when there is a change in income and it requires consent from both parents to change the amounts being paid. If the amount is lower good luck getting the other parent to agree without going on a motion to get the support payments adjusted.

That is the problem with the FRO. It allows high-conflict parents to force motions in court. Once the final decision is in place, FRO should be collecting the financial information from Revenue Canada and adjusting it themselves without the need of parental consent or a motion in court. (opinion)

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 PM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Given two reasonable parents using the FRO shouldn't be a problem
Given two reasonable parents, the FRO shouldn't be necessary at all. They exist solely because not everyone is reasonable and people, more often than not are stupid. (I work in IT, I'm biased...so sue me)
Old 12-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBDad View Post
Given two reasonable parents, the FRO shouldn't be necessary at all. They exist solely because not everyone is reasonable and people, more often than not are stupid. (I work in IT, I'm biased...so sue me)
NBDad,

I can't disagree with that statement at all. Money makes a lot of people unreasonable though.

Tayken
Old 12-08-2011, 12:19 AM

Thanks. I'm dealing with unreasonable and stupid. The other day he (texted) that he'd pay the court ordered amt when he "won the lottery/sold the house he's renovating throughout (that he lives in or "when *child* moves out". Yes sireee. That makes a ton of sense. Oh and somewhere in there he rambled on about how "no one would get a penny if he loses his licence and can't work. Yup. That'll show me. (?!) He's a total tool. Completely hopeless. I would rather he cooperated but it appears he thinks he will flip FRO the bird and dismiss them. I can only hope they have the "teeth" they claim to when it comes to enforcement. I'm fairly certain he's going to rub them the wrong way, fast.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenough View Post
Thanks. I'm dealing with unreasonable and stupid. The other day he (texted) that he'd pay the court ordered amt when he "won the lottery/sold the house he's renovating throughout (that he lives in or "when *child* moves out". Yes sireee. That makes a ton of sense. Oh and somewhere in there he rambled on about how "no one would get a penny if he loses his licence and can't work. Yup. That'll show me. (?!) He's a total tool. Completely hopeless. I would rather he cooperated but it appears he thinks he will flip FRO the bird and dismiss them. I can only hope they have the "teeth" they claim to when it comes to enforcement. I'm fairly certain he's going to rub them the wrong way, fast.
If you have a court order with enforcement stated through FRO take it to them. If not, simply take the issue on motion, attach the email you sighted here to an affidavit and ask for an order that the FRO enforce the support order. Ask for costs too in the request.

Don't bring up anything else, just the refusal to pay.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 PM

The delay has to do with the judge (from our trial) making her ruling on costs. My lawyer made cost submissions back in oct. Ex's counsel had 30 days to respond. He did. On the very last day. From there: the judge has 30 days (I think) to rule on costs and make it part of the final order. THEN it will go to FRO. Its a nightmare b/c while all this time is passing, FRO will also take several weeks to get the ball rolling. I feel my ex is going to first ignore them, and then mouth off to them. He can afford to pay the CS and SS.

Some lawyers think he got off rather easily. But he will do whatever causes the most aggravation. He has a wife, 2 young kids to support (w/her and she doesn't work outside the home) a home, cars, etc. So.... losing his license or going to jail isn't going to be an option for him. He's so busy being at odds w/me that he refuses to see or accept the facts: the big picture. He is a total headache.

Last edited by hadenough; 12-08-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typos, spacing
Old 12-10-2011, 01:46 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

FRO is a nightmare.
Avoid it if you can.

Sounds like you can`t, however.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:27 PM

I definitely need them. My ex cannot be reasoned with at all! He said he'd tell fro he's "broke" (he's not) and msged me that he'd pay the ordered amt when he "wins the lottery" - he's pretty much going to tell Fro to f*off by the sounds of it (once they initiate contact) and if my hunch is right I do hope they become HIS worst nightmare. I simply want to recv the ordered amount and move forward w/my life as it's been put on "hold" by Court for long enough.