Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2015, 10:15 PM

Straittohell is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
I hear ya ^ - my kid was hysterical. In future appointments I requested the "screamer time" at the end of the day. Soon he chilled about the whole thing.

I've often postulated about people who have an intense fear of cats. When you ask them if their mother also had the same fear, more often than not I am told that yes their mother had the same fear. I wonder if adult's fear and trepidation of dentists gets transposed to the children? I recall hearing horror stories about getting one's wisdom teeth removed when I was a teenager. When my time came for this most unpleasant experience I was surprised that it really wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

Nowadays GA is given frequently and dentists have built lucrative practices on the fear of patients. Too bad they don't lower the cost and give stressed out parents a break.

Each to their own - as I said before, these are good parents who take their kids to the dentist. Praise the Lord for that!
No fear projection here. Ex and I were quite comfortable with the dentist.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:53 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

We've done both ways. At 5 we did local freezing and tooth extracted. I won't be popular but they will live. Many risks with GA that I do not want to take.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:30 AM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Young children look to their parents for how to react in certain situations. If either mom or dad turn on the drama, kidlet will follow suit. Keep reminding the child of how the dentist wants to make the BOO BOO stop by pulling out the bad tooth. A good dentist will make the procedure painless ... GA for one little tooth is not worth the health risks. Bribery usually works - "if you behave at the dentist today, I promise to take you to ....or buy you a ...."

You do what you have to do to get it done with the least amount of fussing lol!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:53 AM

HappyMomma is on a distinguished road

As already said - just do it. If your ex takes you to court over this he'll look like an idiot.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:20 PM

Straittohell is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibel View Post
Young children look to their parents for how to react in certain situations. If either mom or dad turn on the drama, kidlet will follow suit. Keep reminding the child of how the dentist wants to make the BOO BOO stop by pulling out the bad tooth. A good dentist will make the procedure painless ... GA for one little tooth is not worth the health risks. Bribery usually works - "if you behave at the dentist today, I promise to take you to ....or buy you a ...."

You do what you have to do to get it done with the least amount of fussing lol!

It is so funny to watch all of this well intentioned advice.

Did all of those things with my daughter, and my ex and I were 100% o the same page, and didn't transfer any anxiety, fears,etc., and she still completely freaked out and screamed and writhed, and basically scared the shut out of half the office.

Some kids/people can handle it, some can't. The people who haven't experienced the joys of attempting to deal with a truky hysterical child in a dentist chair will naively share all of their nifty strategies that happened to work for them, and that's fine, it really is. It just isn't realistic. They have GA available for a reason, and it's okay to use it.

Last edited by Straittohell; 01-16-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:17 PM

The Iceberg is on a distinguished road

Your fear is court not best interest of the child? But you have best interest of the child in mind so why fear court? He cant do absolutelly nothing. But IMO GA is not needed because the s5 can be tricked and convinced and pain from needle before anasthasia kicks in is only a couple of minutes. IF that happened to fail, then have a letter from dentist and your ex WILL repay half plus motion costs.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:14 AM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceberg View Post
But IMO GA is not needed because the s5 can be tricked and convinced and pain from needle before anasthasia kicks in is only a couple of minutes. .
That is quite logical, if the sensation of pain is what makes a kid hysterical. But it is the understanding of the procedure, powerlessness, and the anxiety surrounding it that causes most of the hysteria. Silly gas (nitrous oxide) might take care of that, but maybe not...
Old 01-19-2015, 11:38 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I feel for the parents in this situation particularly if all future dental procedures will be with GA. It could be extremely expensive for them to maintain regular preventative dental in the future. I have heard that some find dental cleaning to be much more painful than fillings. Orthodontic (braces) can be unpleasant as well and requires a monthly adjustment.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:02 PM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpless View Post
...My spouse and I (have no med coverage) offered to pay all the costs related to the GA...
Why do you not also have med coverage for your child(ren)?
Old 01-19-2015, 02:11 PM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpless View Post
...The next day, ex called stating that his dentist had done the filling procedure and that everything had gone well in regards to our son...

...It took my spouse and I an hour to try and convince S5 to go back, S5 was volatile, terrified, and in the end my spouse had to basket hold him, buckle him up in the vehicle, so that we could make the appointment in...
I'm confused by this.
So, the first dentist visit was fine and went well (or is the other parent lying?)
But the 2nd attempt to go to dentist, was apparently a nightmare, trying to get the kid to go?

It doesn't seem like this situation was handled well, if you don't want your kid to be anxious, to go to the dentist, now, or in future.
ex.
"my spouse had to basket hold him". ?

Yikes.