Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 07:28 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road
Default changing marital status with revenue canada

I am not sure how this works, I got the papers today from them and they want proof we separated December of last year.

The problem is he and I still lived under the same roof until July 23 due to finanical reasons. He and I split the bills but I had the hydro put in my name July 1st and the water and gas company need a copy of the deed (title) showing that I am the only owner of the property.

Revenue canada wants something showing that we have two separate addresses but I have no idea of where he is living.

Anyone deal with this before??
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 PM

whatsup is on a distinguished road

Ya I did, get all the proof you can, bills in your name only, copy of the deed, and most important 2 guarantor signatures filled out on the forms they sent you. I got my doctor, and my kids school principal both of which I informed when we separated and so they had record of it in their files, I had them photo copy their records and sent those too, along with rental reciepts, a copy of our interim sep agreement and just for good measure I went and swore out an affidavit that we were indeed living separately. After I sent it in it took only a matter of about 3 weeks and I got a letter that they accepted the proof...so my advise is load it with every scrap of proof you can get your hands on...especially if he has no known address, make sure you let them know that too! We live in the same building, but 2 separate self contained apartments..only so the kids can have open easy visitation..
Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Wow, I guess I got lucky. I sent it in over a year after our separation and I didn't have to provide any proof.

Can you not just tell Revenue Canada that you and he are separated, and his current address is his own responsibility to inform them?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioe View Post
Wow, I guess I got lucky. I sent it in over a year after our separation and I didn't have to provide any proof.

Can you not just tell Revenue Canada that you and he are separated, and his current address is his own responsibility to inform them?
They don't ask for proof when you do the form notifying them your separated, but then a year and a half later I got a letter telling me to prove it or I would have to pay back all the child tax benefits. Honestly they should simply ask for documentation upfront when you apply, it adds a huge amount of stress to an already stressful situation when they do this. If I hadn't bothered to let my doctor and schools know and they hadn't made note of it in their files I most likely wouldn't have had enough proof and would have had to pay back thousands, regardless of the fact that I am indeed separated.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:59 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

OMG good to know in case they come after me next year. Especially since my ex hasn't bothered to update his new address with them. I would think that sending a copy of the page of the signed separation agreement where it says the separation date would be good enough proof, wouldn't it?

Again, I still think it's his responsibility to provide his new address to them, and they are just pressuring you to do their investigating for them.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioe View Post
OMG good to know in case they come after me next year. Especially since my ex hasn't bothered to update his new address with them. I would think that sending a copy of the page of the signed separation agreement where it says the separation date would be good enough proof, wouldn't it?

Again, I still think it's his responsibility to provide his new address to them, and they are just pressuring you to do their investigating for them.
Nope not enough, you have to prove your living on your own, paying bills, rent or mortgage, and they ask that you give them 2 guarantors that know you are living separate...I sent my interim sep agreement too, but have read enough horror stories of having to pay back thousands that I sent in every scrap of evidence I could find. My ex didn't file taxes for 2 years so it didn't show he was separated or had a new address which I believe more than likely flagged me in the system. He had to fill out the forms too..not sure what to do if you don't even know where your ex is, but I would call revenue canada and ask them what to do in that case. Moral of story, document, document document.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Call them up, explain your situation and they will send you the forms you need to fill out with the affidavits etc. I had the same issue last year and it did take some time to get all the paperwork processed but they sent me everything I needed to be able to change everything on my own should he decide not to cooperate.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 AM

AtALoss is on a distinguished road

RC65 - Marital Status Change

this is what they require to change your status one way or the other.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 AM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

the stupid part, you do not have to provide so much proof when you start living common law, they take you at your word.

My biggest problem is that we lived in the same house for 6 months after marriage ended as we owned the house. I have bought him out now though. I never told any doctors etc that we separated and no kids. I told friends and retained a lawyer back in feb or march, I have a copy of legal separation where it says we separated in December. He kept the bills that were in his name and paid them and I did the same. I changed the hydro to my name June 30th but the utilities needed a copy of of the deed to show I am the only owner other then that they refused to change it as all registered owners of the property are named on the bills.

I have already contacted revenue canada about changeing the maritial status and they sent me the papers to fill out. It just sucks that he wants to be such a child and not give me an address because he doesnt want me to know where he is living. I am not a crazy stalker and I really dont care what he does what his life and with who. I just want to finish tying up all the loose ends.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

He doesn't have to give you his info, they will send a package to him as well - or you can give him the papers - to fill out and return directly to them without you ever seeing them. It's in his benefit as well so perhaps you can frame it that way to him as incentive to get it done?
Closed Thread