Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2015, 11:04 AM

stripes is on a distinguished road

One person' "joking around" is another person's "harassment" (indeed, one of the most common excuses for harassment is "come on, we were just kidding. Can't you take a joke?"). There's no reason why comments about gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, etc need to be made in any workplace.

Military members (like many other uniformed services - police, fire, etc) sometimes operate with a sense of entitlement that has been drilled into them as they are reminded constantly that they are the few, the chosen, they are heroes, they make sacrifices for the rest of us, etc. This can lead to a self-perpetuating culture of privilege: whatever we do must be okay because we are above petty rules and restrictions.

I've met some sterling members of the armed forces who behave with great integrity and bravery, and I've also met some real bottom-feeders who just like the fact that they can carry a big gun and live out video-game fantasies. Bring on the civilian oversight!
Old 05-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Banned

serendipitous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One person' "joking around" is another person's "harassment" (indeed, one of the most common excuses for harassment is "come on, we were just kidding. Can't you take a joke?").
The most common being race (gets a lot of denial), with bigots and small minded boonies folks usually accusing people of "playing the race card". I am sure you've noticed that when it comes to race, there usually isn't a "we" all condone racism group..why is that?

Quote:
Bring on the civilian oversight!
Ah...this usually works two ways, lower staffer trying to climb the ladder, and flirting with the boss / banging them, or the boss taking a shine to a certain employee and banging them. What is that saying...don't crap where you eat.

Look forward to some delusional insights here, but won't hold my breathe.

Reminder:It's a two way traffic i.e. both male and female are at the receiving end of it
Quote:
Sexual harassment is any event that occurs in the workplace that discriminates against
one’s sex or sexual orientation. It also includes displaying inappropriate behaviours
of a sexual nature which leave the victim uncomfortable. Human Rights Tribunals
in Canada take into account how the victim feels about the behaviour and not the
intentions of the harasser when deciding sexual harassment cases.
http://www.ufcw.ca/templates/ufcwcan...4_EN_email.pdf
Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

This is why forward-thinking organizations have "vertical fraternization" policies. You can't have a sexual relationship with anyone who is higher or lower than you in the organizational hierarchy, regardless of whether both parties consent - too much potential for coercion, favoritism, harassment, abuse of power, etc. If you want to have an affair with someone who is at the same level as you, that's different.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:21 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipitous View Post
Playing devil's advocate...and nobody condones harassment of any kind...
Untrue. As the report says, the Canadian military leadership does indeed condone and/or turn a blind eye to sexual harassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipitous View Post
Saying that it appears that an organization "consents" to such despicable behaviour, is purporting assumptions which seem out to lunch.
You disagree with the Retired Supreme Court justice? If you ever read her 102 page report, we’d love to hear more delusional insights on her findings. And of course, there is now an internal response team set up that I’m sure would appreciate your insights as well.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:04 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

I have to say, I still have never actually personally witnessed any sexism except against me in family court. I've noticed bias towards to hot women but that is about it. I would really like to see an incident of sexism happen in front of me.... it'd be very interesting.

Quote:
You disagree with the Retired Supreme Court justice?
Meh, fallacy of authority. There are good judges and bad.

I'd disband the army, a tool of the imperialists, a part of the military industrial complex, a waste of money and where young men go to die and old men return from to be crazy.