Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2017, 08:02 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road
Default CanadaBC Kelowna lawyer resigns after writing himself into client's will

Funny, ....but not funny. A fairly typical joke in law offices is to write yourself into a will, but this joker actually did it:

link: Kelowna lawyer resigns after writing himself into client's will - British Columbia - CBC News

Note to readers: if you are here, in an Ontario divorce forum, YES---You should be preparing a new will, and in all likelihood, new power of attorneys.

Also, please note the lawyer writing your will most likely isn't aware you are separated/divorced, pay and/or receive child support. If you pay or receive child support, consider using this clause in your will, to ensure that any bequests are not confused with ongoing cs:

"The provisions made for a child or children of mine under this Paragraph ** of this my Will are made, in part, for the purpose of satisfying any obligation my estate may have pursuant to a separation agreement [with my former spouse ____, court order, or otherwise] to pay support to a parent of or for the benefit of my children. Any payments made under this paragraph shall not be in addition to amounts otherwise payable by my estate pursuant to a separation agreement, court order, or otherwise, but shall be on account of those amounts that my estate is legally obligated to make."
Old 10-04-2017, 11:47 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
Funny, ....but not funny. A fairly typical joke in law offices is to write yourself into a will, but this joker actually did it:

link: Kelowna lawyer resigns after writing himself into client's will - British Columbia - CBC News

Note to readers: if you are here, in an Ontario divorce forum, YES---You should be preparing a new will, and in all likelihood, new power of attorneys.

Also, please note the lawyer writing your will most likely isn't aware you are separated/divorced, pay and/or receive child support. If you pay or receive child support, consider using this clause in your will, to ensure that any bequests are not confused with ongoing cs:

"The provisions made for a child or children of mine under this Paragraph ** of this my Will are made, in part, for the purpose of satisfying any obligation my estate may have pursuant to a separation agreement [with my former spouse ____, court order, or otherwise] to pay support to a parent of or for the benefit of my children. Any payments made under this paragraph shall not be in addition to amounts otherwise payable by my estate pursuant to a separation agreement, court order, or otherwise, but shall be on account of those amounts that my estate is legally obligated to make."
I think he should received a much stiffer judgement. 7 years without practicing law? Repaying a paltry 2500.00 costs award?

Fraudulent transaction should have been dealt with on a federal level IMO.

I'm sure he also has to do some remedial reading...(common penalty given to bad lawyers).

Good advice about the will though - thanks for that.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:12 AM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

The Law Society policing the lawyers. Anyone see a problem with this?

This should be dealt with as a matter for criminal law.