Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

View Poll Results: Was the long gun registry a good idea?
Yes, It was/am in favour of it. 9 50.00%
No. I was/am against it. 4 22.22%
Undecided. I do not know. 1 5.56%
It was a good idea conceptually, but poorly executed. 4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road
Default Canada and the Long Gun registry

What with recent events, I am curious to know how every one feels about the now defunct Long Gun Registry.

Last edited by wretchedotis; 12-21-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

CNN interesting right now. Piers Morgan.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:53 PM

Personally, I can say as a firearm owner, I didn't really care either way - except the fact that there was a recurring 'fee' to register them.

That part upset me... lol.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:49 AM

truthfully, i voted 'for' it in my own poll....
Old 12-22-2012, 01:08 AM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

Canada's long-gun laws explained - Canada - CBC News
Old 12-22-2012, 02:31 AM

I am personally struggling with how the gun-lobby or NRA or whatever in the states right now can look themselves in the mirror and say that they truly have the best answer right now.

But I suppose I am just niave.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:05 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

If I lived in the US (which I don't ) I think I'd have to question shopping at Wallmart. I recently learned they actually sell rifles at Wallmart in the US. I know Canadian Tire used to sell rifles when I was young.

What does anyone need one of these guns for? American's should forget about gun legislation and simply boycott stores that sell those rifles.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

I have no problem with a basic rifle, and you should be able to hunt, target shoot, and if necessary defend your home with a basic bolt action rifle with a small magazine.

There is no reason why a gun shouldn't be registered and licensed. We do it with our cars, and no one takes your car away unless you default on the payments, it is unsafe, or you recklessly kill someone.

The problem with unregistered firearms is that people can resell them to anyone out of the trunk of their car without any idea if the person is a criminal, or has emotional problems, or mental issues. And people do sell them like this.

Years ago when I was a teen, my father, who was a violent alcoholic, bought a shotgun at a flea market. One night when when I wasn't home but 8 year old (at the time) nephew was staying, my father was drunk, pulled out the shotgun and started threatening my mother. My nephew intervened, ran between them and pushed my drunken father to the floor. Noone was hurt, but you can just imagine the possibilites.

Gun licensing and registration don't solve every problem, they just solve some problems, like the problem with my father. To own a gun you should be checked out and licensed. If you are a violent jackass, you don't get one. If you later show yourself to be a violent jackass you lose it. If you get a gun and sell it later, you need to have it registered so that you can show that you didn't sell it to a violent jackass.

Meanwhile there is no legitimate reason to own an assault rifle any more than there is a legitimate reason to own a rocket-propelled grenade or a cruise missle.

I served in the militia in my teens, I worked as an armed guard while in college when I was in my 20s, I am not against guns. I know how fun they can be, I also know how awful they can be. They are a necessity in rural areas, but there is no need to own a machine gun to protect yourself from bears and wolverines.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:47 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I served in the militia in my teens, I worked as an armed guard while in college when I was 20, I am not against guns. I know how fun they can be, I also know how awful they can be. They are a necessity in rural areas, but there is no need to own a machine gun to protect yourself from bears and wolverines.
Red Dawn - Clip 06 - WOLVERINES! - YouTube

The only reason semi-automatic weapons are even produced and sold is the massive social anxiety that some unknown force (or the government) is going to take over everything and the only thing separating our freedom from slavery is the gun. (The movie Red Dawn often cited as the best example of this collective social anxiety about impending invasion.)

Zardoz the Gun is good, Go forth! - YouTube

Zardoz speaks to those people... I guess. (Yes, Zardoz, the floating head actually vomits guns onto his chosen people. Yes, that is Sean Connery.)

If you want to hunt, hunt with a bow and arrow. Also, you will actually get a tag if you are a bow hunter in the province of Ontario.

Good Luck!
Tayken

Last edited by Tayken; 12-22-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:20 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

I prefer the sound of someone gurgling for air as I choke them out. The way their body struggles underneath me and the helplessness they feel when they can't even move their legs because I'm wrapped around them so that if they move their knees will pop.

What I don't like is the smell when then shit their pants as they go unconcious. But we all have to trade off our pleasures.

Have you ever been there Slughead? I'm told if you just surrender to it it's kind of transcendant.
Closed Thread