Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2017, 05:21 PM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default can both parents participate in counselling if one alleges to be a VDV

as the title suggests, if one parent alleges to have been a victim of domestic violence, can both parents participate in the counselling session for a child?

I know some counselors don't allow for this, and take the "victims" word to be truth.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:21 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

If the counselling is for the child, neither parent should be present.

If the situation is that Parent A alleges that Parent B committed domestic violence and Parent B claims Parent A is a liar, and they're both in the same room with the kid and the counsellor, it will be a gong show (and probably of no benefit to the kid). I suggest staying out of this.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:19 PM

Stillbreathing is on a distinguished road

Not at all a good idea for anybody.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:15 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Exposing a child to two warring parents is not something that anyone would recommend.

I would focus on your parenting time pick-up and drop-offs at a neutral location.

In your situation I can think of no reason for you or your ex to breathe the same air, anywhere, anytime.

In cases such as these I think a conditional restraining order, preventing the parents from being anywhere near each other, might be wise.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Exposing a child to two warring parents is not something that anyone would recommend.

I would focus on your parenting time pick-up and drop-offs at a neutral location.

In your situation I can think of no reason for you or your ex to breathe the same air, anywhere, anytime.

In cases such as these I think a conditional restraining order, preventing the parents from being anywhere near each other, might be wise.
I don't think any of those would go hand in hand with my claims of joint-custody.

The child is under 12 and the counselling is for the child, but parent's still participate in the sense that the counselor meets with them separately to talk to them as well.

I've already found some counselors locally who provide counselling for child when one parent alleges to be a victim of domestic violence.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:43 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

If there has been no conviction of anything why is the child attending counseling for DV? The whole DV counseling thing is a game that many lawyers tell their clients to play. That way they can corner you at trial. Your consent to this counseling will be used as an admission against interest that DV happened. Hard to argue yourself out of why you would consent to this counseling if no DV happened.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
If there has been no conviction of anything why is the child attending counseling for DV? The whole DV counseling thing is a game that many lawyers tell their clients to play. That way they can corner you at trial. Your consent to this counseling will be used as an admission against interest that DV happened. Hard to argue yourself out of why you would consent to this counseling if no DV happened.
child isn't attending for dv. I'll pm you

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk