Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2017, 11:32 PM

kate331 is on a distinguished road
Default Broken Home

Curious to know how many of you are from a "broken" homes, (i am sure there is a better word). And how has it effected your parenting style now that you are separated or divorced?
Old 10-15-2017, 04:50 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

My parents split when I was 3, 5, 9 and finally 13. My father stopped paying support around 15. We worked our butts off to put ourselves through school and have successful relationships. My siblings only different parenting style is to always assure their kids they are loved. They dont lavish expensive gifts or activities on them. I chose not to have children myself.

I also dont refer to my childhood as coming from a broken home. We were forced into an unfortunate situation but it taught us a great deal of maturity and responsibility. I think many kids are lacking that today!
Old 10-17-2017, 01:50 AM
Banned

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
My father stopped paying support around 15.
Is that something you were made aware of at that age or you found out afterwards? Was your father equally involved or force away by the system? what are your thoughts on that? Do you think he would have been paying vs or something if he had equal time and decision s with You? what is your relationship with him like now?
Old 10-17-2017, 05:50 PM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

Parents divorced when I was in elementary school but in no way was I from a broken home. I had a good childhood in a good home.

The only affect of my parent's divorce was me not wanting to go that way (and not succeeding..)
Old 10-17-2017, 11:15 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

My parents were very much in love until the day they died. No separated home here.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:38 PM

Ange71727 is on a distinguished road

My parents have been together for almost 50 years. It isn't a perfect marriage but they've been great role models and extremely supportive and at the end of the day they have each other's backs through it all. Interestingly enough, 2 of their 4 children are divorced (including myself). I don't think that "broken homes" breed future broken homes. The few posts here show that the opposite is often true. I truly hope my children don't ever experience it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 10:58 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I'm way older than most of you. I didn't meet anyone who had divorced parents until I was in grade 7. I recall it being somewhat of a shock. I was obviously quite sheltered. LOL. Having divorced parents was something that people tried to keep to themselves as it was socially unacceptable. Some families wouldn't let their children associate with other children if parents were divorced. I think there was a fear that the single parent would demonstrate promiscuity in front of the children. LOL It was very much the norm. Religion was more intertwined in people's daily lives. Jewish kids went to their schools as did Catholic kids. "Hard-of-hearing" or developmentally delayed kids had their schools. Everyone had their place... except those poor kids of divorced parents who had to fit in.

Friends and I laugh about this today. We can remember our older siblings having to wear itchy uniforms and some being shipped off to boarding schools (it was status thing then - probably still is).
Old 10-23-2017, 11:12 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

“Those were the days my friend, we thought ther’d Never end”

Divorce and separation is a relatively new way of life. I am older as well and can honestly say I did not know anyone whose parents were separated or divorced. I do remember some kids coming to school with black eyes though!