Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 32
mathewoliviera is on a distinguished road
Default Braces

I took my son to the dentist today (x knows) and I informed her that the dentist recommend that he should see an orthodontist. I told her of this she stated just let her take care of it as she doesn't want two people working on it if they decide to have it done (I know that only 1 ortho can do the work). This is something I would like to do for my son as I know the problems that come with having overcrowded teeth. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advanced.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Rioe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,247
Rioe will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewoliviera View Post
I took my son to the dentist today (x knows) and I informed her that the dentist recommend that he should see an orthodontist. I told her of this she stated just let her take care of it as she doesn't want two people working on it if they decide to have it done (I know that only 1 ortho can do the work). This is something I would like to do for my son as I know the problems that come with having overcrowded teeth. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advanced.
It sounds like your ex just wants to avoid having both of you do consultations with an orthodontist and then argue about which one to go with.

Did the dentist recommend a specific orthodontist? Why not just go with that one? If not, ask for a recommendation, and then you can both attend the consultation.

Your ex is either a control freak and absolutely wants to be the one to handle orthodontics, or she doesn't trust that you'll do it?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2015, 09:34 PM
mcdreamy's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,414
mcdreamy is on a distinguished road
Default

Braces are a s7 expense, which would require the consent of both parents before incurring expenses, barring extreme circumstances.

Fwiw, I had our kidlet with 3 orthodontists for quotes and advised/booked appointments with my ex in advance, so he was at each preliminary consultation, and we each had an opportunity to review before we agreed on a final treatment plan.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2015, 11:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 32
mathewoliviera is on a distinguished road
Default

I actually finally pushed enough so I could take him to the dentist. I informed her of all what was going on and she stated she wants to look into it if they decide to do it for him. I absolutely don't mind working with her or paying for a portion of I just want to be sure he gets some treatment and if done early enough can help how extreme it would be later down the road and more complex. I'm just unsure of what to do if she doesn't want to
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2015, 01:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,838
stripes is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewoliviera View Post
I actually finally pushed enough so I could take him to the dentist. I informed her of all what was going on and she stated she wants to look into it if they decide to do it for him. I absolutely don't mind working with her or paying for a portion of I just want to be sure he gets some treatment and if done early enough can help how extreme it would be later down the road and more complex. I'm just unsure of what to do if she doesn't want to
Why not give her a bit of time? Braces need to be fitted sooner rather than later, but a few months probably won't make a difference. You've informed her of what the dentist said, you can follow up in 2-3 months - "By the way, have you gotten Kid an appointment with the orthodontist yet?". If she says no, make an appointment and take him yourself. Braces are a necessity, no one can fault you for moving ahead. Give Mom a chance, and if she doesn't follow up, no more discussion is necessary, you just handle it yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2015, 03:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 185
nfc4ever is on a distinguished road
Default

Bear in mind too that a lot of health care professionals recommend treatments where the benefits are minor. My childhood dentist said that I didn't need braces due to the two misaligned teeth in my mouth, since I have a more of a closed mouth smile, and don't flash a mouth full of teeth. My current dentist keeps telling me that he can "fix" them.

I always ask if he would still recommend the course of action if he were to agree to relinquish the referral fee.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2015, 08:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 32
mathewoliviera is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for all the suggestions!.....He is going to have overcrowded teeth he has large teeth and a smaller jaw. The dentist did not refer us to anyone orthodontist in particular, she just suggested that we decide on one as they all usually do free consultations.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2015, 07:47 PM
arabian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 9,962
arabian will become famous soon enough
Default

Something I remember from when our son started to have orthodontic work done is that appointments are scheduled a year in advance. For example, my son would go for his monthly adjustments at 2:00 on a Wednesday. The "prime" times (after school) are usually the first to be taken.

If you dick around with your ex over which orthodontist to see you may end up getting the absolute worst times.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Rioe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,247
Rioe will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Something I remember from when our son started to have orthodontic work done is that appointments are scheduled a year in advance. For example, my son would go for his monthly adjustments at 2:00 on a Wednesday. The "prime" times (after school) are usually the first to be taken.

If you dick around with your ex over which orthodontist to see you may end up getting the absolute worst times.
That wasn't my experience. Maybe it's changed over time, or maybe different orthodontists do it differently.

That said, of course it's better to be cooperative parents and get the orthodontic work done as well and as efficiently as possible.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
visitation schedule alberta blueriver Parenting Issues 31 02-21-2014 05:41 PM
Braces ringettteplayer Divorce & Family Law 11 09-05-2013 07:34 AM
new to site topic : braces Whatsurpoint Divorce & Family Law 7 07-31-2013 11:29 AM
Extraordinary and special expenses - braces SMP Financial Issues 9 11-03-2010 08:22 PM
Braces Mikesgal Financial Issues 3 06-26-2008 10:47 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.