Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2014, 10:22 AM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

He was found guilty of culpable homicide (ie Manslaughter).

He could still get 15 years, it will be interesting to see.

IMO this is a better match for the circumstances than 1st degree murder.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:23 AM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Mom View Post
Manslaughter. He may not even get a prison sentence.

Only in South Africa does it seem possible that someone would break into your house and go to the toilet.
Based on that fact alone, Pistorius is guilty. What thief in his right mind will head straight for the bedroom ''terlet''? In a luxury home containing (and I'm assuming) several wash rooms? Not the usual spot to hide valuables is it?

Perhaps Pistorius was involved in some shady deals on the side and was expecting repercussions - that would explain his paranoia?
Same as the OJ case - we'll never know the truth ... my guts say he lost it after some argument and shot her!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Maybe he thought the thief was going to hide?

If he did kill her for cheating or leaving him or something, I really think their needs to be a re-evaluation of how we teach people about relationships. A lot of people invest so much in their relationships emotionally and are broken if there is a betrayal and do crazy things....
Old 09-12-2014, 10:29 AM

MS Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibel View Post
Based on that fact alone, Pistorius is guilty. What thief in his right mind will head straight for the bedroom ''terlet''? In a luxury home containing (and I'm assuming) several wash rooms? Not the usual spot to hide valuables is it?

Perhaps Pistorius was involved in some shady deals on the side and was expecting repercussions - that would explain his paranoia?
Same as the OJ case - we'll never know the truth ... my guts say he lost it after some argument and shot her!
Well, the legal system in South Africa is confining the judge.

Apparently there is a choice between pre-meditated murder and culpable homicide (manslaughter). Nothing in between.

So, the judge determined he didn't pre-meditate her death. She determined a reasonable person would not have acted in that manner, therefore culpable homicide. If she determined a reasonable person would have acted in that manner, he would have been cleared altogether.

The sentencing will be the true teller of what the judge thinks happened.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
Maybe he thought the thief was going to hide?

If he did kill her for cheating or leaving him or something, I really think their needs to be a re-evaluation of how we teach people about relationships. A lot of people invest so much in their relationships emotionally and are broken if there is a betrayal and do crazy things....
You can't teach people to be normal? You can't raise a person to behave rationally if they're cray -cray? I ended up in the ER when the Ex found out that I had consulted a lawyer and was planning to leave him. So my thoughts on Pistorius would tend to lean in the direction of a domestic argument that went very very bad.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:16 AM

MS Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You can't teach people to be normal? You can't raise a person to behave rationally if they're cray -cray? I ended up in the ER when the Ex found out that I had consulted a lawyer and was planning to leave him. So my thoughts on Pistorius would tend to lean in the direction of a domestic argument that went very very bad.
Janibel - it's been my experience that the most "normal" people are the ones to look out for.

My ex - raised by two parents - still together. Very religious, church every sunday. Could charm the habit off a nun. Narcissist? Hell ya.....and the "normal" upbringing is fuel for his narcissism....it's why he's morally superior to everyone. He was taught extremely well how to be "normal" despite his obvious abnormalities.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Mom View Post
Janibel - it's been my experience that the most "normal" people are the ones to look out for.

My ex - raised by two parents - still together. Very religious, church every sunday. Could charm the habit off a nun. Narcissist? Hell ya.....and the "normal" upbringing is fuel for his narcissism....it's why he's morally superior to everyone. He was taught extremely well how to be "normal" despite his obvious abnormalities.
My ex has brothers - all decent law-abiding guys. I truly believe that even the most charming, well-behaved narcissist will eventually drop the charade and mess up. That usually happens when their public 'facade' is put in question and the thin veneer of their persona is exposed for what it truly is... that's when they 'lose it'.

Most narcissists are very talented actors, charming liars ... their lack of empathy for others is the danger, they feel entitled to have things go their way no matter the hurt it causes around them.

I agree with you MSmom, I'd be less afraid of some poor homeless person mumbling to himself on the sidewalk - in the case of a narcisist, we're all vulnerable to falling for the deceit and being trapped.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:41 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree with you MSmom, I'd be less afraid of some poor homeless person mumbling to himself on the sidewalk - in the case of a narcisist, we're all vulnerable to falling for the deceit and being trapped.
I've often had that thought. My ex was not a narcissistic sociopath (although he certainly has his problems), but I've met people who are, and they are far more frightening than the obviously mentally ill. I think eventually though they all get tripped up - the lack of empathy means that they can't really fathom how other people think or feel, and they can only fake it for so long.

I remember hearing a radio interview with Karla Homolka after she was released from prison in which she was very convincing as a pathetic victim of Paul Bernardo ... until the point when she said that she was terribly upset because he used their wedding china to prepare a meal for some poor girl he was abusing. Homolka was clearly a good learner and had figured out how to sound like she had compassion, but there came a point when it became evident she really had no understanding what remorse or empathy were.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
I've often had that thought. My ex was not a narcissistic sociopath (although he certainly has his problems), but I've met people who are, and they are far more frightening than the obviously mentally ill. I think eventually though they all get tripped up - the lack of empathy means that they can't really fathom how other people think or feel, and they can only fake it for so long.

I remember hearing a radio interview with Karla Homolka after she was released from prison in which she was very convincing as a pathetic victim of Paul Bernardo ... until the point when she said that she was terribly upset because he used their wedding china to prepare a meal for some poor girl he was abusing. Homolka was clearly a good learner and had figured out how to sound like she had compassion, but there came a point when it became evident she really had no understanding what remorse or empathy were.
When I saw Pistorius crying on the news, I couldn't help but think to myself: right, he's crying because he got caught!". Game over, this guy was a national hero and a source of inspiration to many people around the world. Now all the medals and glory will be forgotten.... I could be wrong, look at the Rob Ford situation -people have short attention spans.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:17 PM

^^^ Bumping.