Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014, 10:52 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road
Default Is anyone else following the Oscar Pistorius trial?

Thoughts on his innocence or guilt?

I'm a bit fascinated by the whole thing, trial by judge alone, the "pitbull", Oscar's reactions in courts (covering eyes, crying, vomiting) and the live tv coverage.

Crime of passion, pre-meditated murder, or a real case of mistaken identity?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:49 PM

MS Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
Thoughts on his innocence or guilt?

I'm a bit fascinated by the whole thing, trial by judge alone, the "pitbull", Oscar's reactions in courts (covering eyes, crying, vomiting) and the live tv coverage.

Crime of passion, pre-meditated murder, or a real case of mistaken identity?
I've been following bits and pieces of it. I was born in South Africa, so there's an interest for me outside of the whole who dun it scenario. I spent a year back there in 1996 and witnessed first hand a lot of the violence that is just the norm there.

The interesting part is not only is it trial by judge only, it's trial by female, black judge. Not a big deal here in Canada, but in South Africa, apartheid is barely over and a lot of the biases still thrive there, especially amongst the Afrikaans culture. It will take more than a generation to change the way of thinking there.

Gun violence is so prevalent there. It's a case of shoot now, check who it is later. Every suburban house is gated, and locked all the time. The bar I worked at had a "buzz in" gate for security, and we had a safe for guns to be kept in for patrons. Crazy atmosphere for this Canadian raised South African.

Car jacking is so frequent that you're advised not to actually stop at stop signs and red lights at nighttime - especially if you're a woman on your own. You just slow down and check for traffic - stopping gives carjackers hiding behind signs and trees a chance to jump out and take your car, take you or kill you.

When I was there in 1996 I was told you could buy an AK47 on the street for $40US. I worked at a restaurant in a strip mall type plaza. There was a bank on one side and a store on the other side of the restaurant. One morning at around 8am a bunch of guys on the back of a pick up truck with AK47s shot one end of the strip mall to the other before getting into the bank. The guy working in the store was shot in the arm and a young girl on her way to school was killed. I didn't witness the event, but heard about it afterwards. The oddest thing to me was how everyone just went on about their business. It didn't seem to have the same impact a tragedy of that nature would have on us Canadians.

I don't know if he's guilty or not - but his argument of mistaken identity is so much more probable there than here given the violent climate of the country. I can also only imagine the grumblings amongst the staunch Afrikaans population.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:37 AM

Franklin is an unknown quantity at this point

Think I'll ask my ex if she fancy,s a vacation there with me any time soon. The sooner the better as I miss her so damn much.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 AM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
Think I'll ask my ex if she fancy,s a vacation there with me any time soon. The sooner the better as I miss her so damn much.
I don't find that the least bit funny.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 AM

Franklin is an unknown quantity at this point

Lighten up! And don,t bother replying to this as is my last comment for this thread.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

I would want to believe he acted out of love protecting his home and girlfriend, but then its hard to tell whether he should be going for an acting career or not! I am going to believe him, until proven otherwise. Thats my nature!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:09 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

I haven't been following it, but there is one issue with his defence that doesn't make sense to me:

If he was living with the woman, and they were sharing a bed, why the hell did he not rollover to see if she was actually in the bed? He believed there may be an intruder, but did nothing to confirm where his g/f was?

My wife wakes up all the time in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. If I were to wake up to random noises, I would first ensure that the person behind the door wasn't my spouse rather than blasting a number of bullet holes in the door.

It is the irrational and unreasonable thinking that has me convinced he is likely guilty.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDad View Post
I haven't been following it, but there is one issue with his defence that doesn't make sense to me:

If he was living with the woman, and they were sharing a bed, why the hell did he not rollover to see if she was actually in the bed? He believed there may be an intruder, but did nothing to confirm where his g/f was?

My wife wakes up all the time in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. If I were to wake up to random noises, I would first ensure that the person behind the door wasn't my spouse rather than blasting a number of bullet holes in the door.

It is the irrational and unreasonable thinking that has me convinced he is likely guilty.
I'm not sure they were actually living together at the time. They had also only been together months, not years...so perhaps habits weren't completely known to each other yet??

I hear what you're saying...but the story I read was that he had previously gotten up and was elsewhere in the house when he heard fussing in the bathroom. I don't think he got up from bed and shot the bathroom door down....

Irrational and unreasonable thinking has become the norm in south Africa when it comes to this type of crime.

One of the most troublesome things for me is that this type of violence happens not just daily there, but hourly. It's only this man's fame that has brought it to the rest of the world. Meanwhile people are dying in very similar circumstances every day there and the rest of the world never hears about it.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnana View Post
I would want to believe he acted out of love protecting his home and girlfriend, but then its hard to tell whether he should be going for an acting career or not! I am going to believe him, until proven otherwise. Thats my nature!
That's what I'd like to think.

But, what I fear is that he acted out of sheer hate and distrust of his fellow citizen.

He didn't know who was behind the door, he says. What he claims is he believed it to be home invaders. What he means by that is that he assumed there were murderous, black thieves behind that door, and he shot because of that assumption. He believes in the validity of shoot now, ask later. He didn't care about who it might have been until he realized who it was.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:16 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
Lighten up! And don,t bother replying to this as is my last comment for this thread.
If you aren' prepared for feedback, don't post.