Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2014, 02:10 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Quote:
cycling back, i can listen to my friends go on and on. i really don't mind listening. sometimes it feels that they are so consumed by what she did or he did and how to use the law strategically but not necessarily honestly that they forget everyone else including the kids.
To the best of your ability, encourage your friends to change their approach....not just for their kids but for them.

The problem with most divorcees early on in the process is that they really don't understand that 95% of what they think is super important and that they're going to expose their STBX with in court is irrelevant. All they'll end up doing is spending more money than necessary.

After having gone through a divorce, I find it amusing lately when I hear someone starting the process. They tend to think family court is like Law & Order where they're going to blindside their ex with some salacious information they have about them. It really just doesn't work that way.

I think there are some high conflict litigants that try to muddy the waters as much as possible in court but judges get sick of that stuff and it ends up causing a mess.

Encourage them to stick to the relevant items and settle as quickly as possible if they can.