Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce Support

Divorce Support This forum is for discussing the emotional aspects of divorce: stress, anger, betrayal of trust and more.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 01:28 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

I would agree with you except that my wedding pictures wouldn't have indicated any love between my children's parents....quite the contrary. It wasn't a normal wedding or a very happy day.

Like I said, I do have some beautiful pictures I had taken when I was pregnant though that show how much I love them...even before they were born.

I think my children are well aware that my ex and I never loved each other...they're clever kids.

I thought about selling my jewellery for cash but they're the few material things from my marriage that I actually have some sentimental attachment to since I bought them during pregnancies and picked them myself...so I want to pass them onto the children somehow in a nicer form.

Thanks Tayken.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Love this one too...lol

Serial Bride Ties the 5th Knot at Age 29 - MSN Living
Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 PM

Fedupwithcrap is on a distinguished road

Wow, all I can say to that article is WOW!! LOL
After one failed marriage under my belt, that long walk down the aisle is no longer appealing.
I am seeing someone currently but as for marriage. No, no, NO
Thanks for sharing the article.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:51 PM

May_May is on a distinguished road

I have the wedding album...and hope to the framed pictures and the Greek wedding crowns (also framed) from the marital house as soon as my ex will let me in to split everything. I'd like to keep them to let my kids decide what they want to do with them. I also have some of the jewellery and have it put aside for them. I love the idea of melting it all down and creating custom pieces...I'm going to consider that later for them if they don't want the original pieces.

This guy is selling a book on ideas for what to do with their ex-wives wedding dress ! Love it...

My Ex-Wife's Wedding Dress
Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 PM

May_May is on a distinguished road

If this helps anyone...I was given some advice about 6 years ago and it's helped get through a lot. Look at the time and intent of the situation and that's what should stick with the item/occasion/memory. So...when you did get married to your ex-it was a great day/moment. And accept that for what it was. At that point in your life it was wonderful, and was done with the best of intentions. That piece symbolizes that. Not where you are today, but of that moment in time.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:39 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

I wasn't married so there are no wedding pics. I gave most pics that had my ex in them to him. But in old albums, some pics are of him and my son. I can't rip them down the middle only for the reason that I want my son to have some pics with dad. When he's older,- he can have them, and do what he wishes with them.

As for jewelry - there wasn't much to speak of. I see what you mean though - the pics thing can be tricky. For me, having any pics of someone I detest isn't easy, but I just don't look at them. They are tucked into old albums - my son can have them.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:21 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

i have kept mine and will keep them. Sure maybe the marriage didnt end up the way I thought it would but we did have some happy times.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:18 PM

ddol1 is on a distinguished road

I have to put a penny in here - given my circumstance and the war it created when she discovered that I had indeed followed the wise advice given right here on this great forum. Fairly early on I did go through and put aside a fairly small number of original pictures, some of the kids school pics as they were growing and was carefull to do the fair thing and take doubles if I could, very similar shots etc. I have maybe 10% of the total. Not fair according to the ex but the only thing I am sorry for is that she got the children involved again..... one day they will understand.

These pictures represent a time in my life where I had something to work for in life, something to enjoy in my life, and when time finally wore my body down - It gave me my sense of drive to get up again, if not for me, then for the support of my family. I really do not know if I would have made it this far if it were not for my family. These pictures mean more to me than any other item in the house.

Then from this forum came the next best idea - digitize them and present this part of me to my kids along with a few other things that together will allow my kids to have forever a part of me and how much they always meant to me regardless of what the ex has accomplished here in the last year.

Jewellery to me is more just stones and metal.

Just want to say thank you for suggesting that I take a part that I indeed had a right to while I had a chance - because she would never have given it freely. Today they are in a safe place - and this is where they will stay.

Last edited by ddol1; 03-31-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:14 PM

AngieJ is on a distinguished road

I finally got around to unpacking some bins that contained Wedding stuff about 2 weeks ago!

I packed up all the wedding pics and the guest book and the cards we received in a box and will give it to my boys when they are older in case they want to keep any of them.

My wedding dress, still hanging in my closet, is going to be bagged up and taken to good will and donated along with the shoes, I'm certainly never gonna wear it again.

The bitter-sweet part for me was going through all this stuff, while at the same time I'm filling in the paperwork for a joint divorce application, it's time!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
Last week, I was emptying out bins and came across wedding pictures. I shredded em all but then I realized I've got other stuff to get rid of. Rings, jewellery, etc. I have no idea what to do with the jewellery. I hate to waste it cause its perfectly good gold and diamonds.

Just wanted some feedback on what other posters did with their wedding memorabilia.
You can mail me evrything..... gladly tke them off your hands... pm me for my address... LOL

My ex pawned everything. Including my Mother's (and my Moms' Mom's) wedding ring.

I'm not happy about that.

Maybe our son might have wanted it to give to his future wife. Or at least the diamond in it with a new ring or something.

but... c'est la vie.

Last edited by wretchedotis; 04-02-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Closed Thread