Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce Support

Divorce Support This forum is for discussing the emotional aspects of divorce: stress, anger, betrayal of trust and more.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Mominneed is on a distinguished road

Karmaseeker,

First I have to clarify that ALL parents are let off the hook in court - not just Mom's. My husband has been abusive, threatened to take my son, driven his car towards us and continued a campaign of terror against me and he's been told that he needs a few visits with a therapist and he'll be fine. The courts mandate is to have the child with BOTH parents regardless of their slip-ups. They'll always be encouraged to give them another chance.

The advice above is great - keep positive, do your best to stay out of the game that she's playing and do your best not to let it get to you as it is essentially out of your control what she does. The kids will eventually get it and they will eventually get a say in who they want to live with and who they want a relationship with. Look forward to that day as best you can.

I think the legal route sometimes becomes inevitable but it's also a bit of a crap-shoot. When you're dealing with the legal system, don't assume anything. The judge probably won't know your situation as you do so be sure to be clear about your entire case. Keep notes with dates etc. that you can use in court should it come to that.

The process is tough, but there are some positives out there - learning is one I try to hold on to! Time will benefit - it gets easier!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 PM

abaker is on a distinguished road

My legal fees for just the trial which lasted 2 weeks were almost $100,000

I was awarded $63, 000
Old 12-11-2010, 08:18 PM

abaker is on a distinguished road

I answered on a diff page...not very computer literate. court costs close to $100k. I was awarded $63,000
Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 PM

tugofwar is on a distinguished road

$100,000. DTTE I hope you have a good cash advance,,,, Ima gona need it..... Maybe I should return those boots..

And two weeks, is that normal?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:18 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Oh no, you're not. Keep those boots. And custody.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM

Garnet Mierau is on a distinguished road
Default conflict resolution tactic

I spent years in land use planning and conflict resolution and now have found myself in the middle of my own divorce. One conflict resolution tactic that I have learned is to accurately repeat the other parties concerns back to them (also called 'mirroring'). This demonstrates that you have heard their concerns which is often the single most important step in moving forward.

It takes a lot of practice and discipline and something that I work on constantly. Hope this helps.
Garnet
Closed Thread