Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce Support

Divorce Support This forum is for discussing the emotional aspects of divorce: stress, anger, betrayal of trust and more.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 AM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

just want to make sure in case i ever live with someone again. Want to make sure I protect my assets and my house.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 AM

BeenThereTwice is on a distinguished road

What I take away from this is that if you develop ANY domestic contract, then:

a) make sure both parties get ILA.

b) If either party waives ILA, make DAMN sure the agreement is fair to both sides.

c) make sure both parties get ILA.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 AM

BeenThereTwice is on a distinguished road

By the way.. I believe the domestic contract must also be WITNESSED to be enforceable at all. Read that somewhere. Not sure where.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 PM

shellshocked22 is on a distinguished road

Hey Standingonsidelines....

I hear what you're saying ! Best way to protect yourself is NOT to get married again (obviously) and NOT to live common law also. Law keeps changing so what is OK today may change years later and you can still get screwed over !

I've even heard of the odd case where a couple has been DATING (NOT co-habitating) but often had "slumber parties". EVEN THEN, effing courts said it was basically common law and guy got nailed for $$$

I think I'll just buy a blow up doll, will be way cheaper. Unless blow dolls get rights under Family Law act, wouldn't surprise me lol !
Old 10-31-2011, 02:03 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
No. The average joe can't waive ILA.
Yes they can, we do it every day at my firm.

The need for Independant Legal Advice occurs when the LAWYER dealing with the parties has a conflict of interest. It has nothing to do with the contact, but the appearance of impropriety of lawyer preparing a contract for the benefit of parties, while only representing one party, their client.

If two parties come to an agreement without the assistance of lawyers, there is no need for ILA, as they are already independent. The test of "unconscionability" is a common law test that. The courts would determine whether the agreement is reasonable, and if it is unreasonable or unconscionable, they can set it aside.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:43 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellshocked22 View Post
Hey Standingonsidelines....

I hear what you're saying ! Best way to protect yourself is NOT to get married again (obviously) and NOT to live common law also. Law keeps changing so what is OK today may change years later and you can still get screwed over !

I've even heard of the odd case where a couple has been DATING (NOT co-habitating) but often had "slumber parties". EVEN THEN, effing courts said it was basically common law and guy got nailed for $$$

I think I'll just buy a blow up doll, will be way cheaper. Unless blow dolls get rights under Family Law act, wouldn't surprise me lol !
hope you do not have a latax allergy lol
Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Teenwolf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDad View Post
Yes they can, we do it every day at my firm.

The need for Independant Legal Advice occurs when the LAWYER dealing with the parties has a conflict of interest. It has nothing to do with the contact, but the appearance of impropriety of lawyer preparing a contract for the benefit of parties, while only representing one party, their client.

If two parties come to an agreement without the assistance of lawyers, there is no need for ILA, as they are already independent. The test of "unconscionability" is a common law test that. The courts would determine whether the agreement is reasonable, and if it is unreasonable or unconscionable, they can set it aside.
Interesting. I always thought it was wise to have independent lawyers for a pre-nup.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
Interesting. I always thought it was wise to have independent lawyers for a pre-nup.
It is. Especially given the ramifications that may happen if the pre-nup is voided.

But two parties can come to an agreement without lawyers. However, if they don't have advice and a court finds that one party was coerced or that the agreement is unconscionable, it is likely to set aside. The agreement can still be set aside with ILA, but it is just a harder argument to put forth.
Closed Thread