Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce Support

Divorce Support This forum is for discussing the emotional aspects of divorce: stress, anger, betrayal of trust and more.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 06:14 AM

In-Law Trouble is on a distinguished road
Exclamation More links!

Lostinlove,

Here r some links respectively on what makes a good lawyer, and tips on how 2 save on legal fees!

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/nat...etent_attorney

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/nat..._on_legal_fees

Hope u find them helpful!

In-Law Trouble
Old 01-16-2006, 12:53 PM

lostinlove is on a distinguished road
Smile Thank you all!

I am often doing searches on the computer but it gets very emotional and overwhelming. I am really grateful to you all for writing and possibly making my search easier.
Ever so grateful,
Lostinlove
Old 01-16-2006, 04:23 PM

Sk8r is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up my 2 cents

Here is my 2 cents worth....Get a Lawyer. Find a good one - somebody that you are comfortable with who you feel has similar viewpoints to you.

MANY, MANY, MANY people told me this when I started this process and I thought that we could do it without involving lawyers. I was very wrong and ended up just complicating the process.

Get a lawyer - even if you have to finance it. The money spent will be worth the aggravation saved.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:23 AM

sasha1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinlove
I'm looking for a starting point and some advice ... and perhaps I also want to vent a little, so please bare with me.
I have been living separately from my husband for a year, but still can't accept that he is with a girl he started dating while we were married! It's become an obsession despite my being aware of how futile and counterproductive it is. Neither of us have made any effort toward making our separation/divorce legal. Him, never one to take the initiative, me, not wanting to cut the final thread. Lately, I'm getting more and more bitter about him wining and dining her, while I live in a meager apartment and eat out of the pot by the sink.
We had no kids, and we enjoyed quite a few luxuries when we were together. I've always wanted very much to have children, and now I'm afraid the biological clock will expire before I ever do. I really feel as though he's stolen my life. After reading some of the forums, I see there are many people in much worse situations than mine - I wish them all the strength in the world to move past their anguish and find happiness very soon.
My emotions are more selfishly driven. I feel an anger that drives me to want to hurt him in the only place I know he'll feel it. The wallet. How much do I have a right to ask for? How relevent is it that he cheated on me? What are the ramifications of waiting so long before filing any paperwork? I don't want to spend a lot of money (that I don't have) on lawyers, but I don't want to walk away without being financially "taken care of". He turned his back on our vows. I made a promise for life - a life that contained a devoted husband and a few luxuries. Is it fair that he walk away with a young girlfriend who is now benefitting from his inflated income? I go through stages of bitter resentment, mixed with utter despair. I want my life back. But if I can't have it, he certainly shouldn't be able to cast me aside so callously. Am I being unreasonable?
First of all, I want to give you a kudos for being so direct and honest. Secondly, a {hug}, because you're clearly having a tough time emotionally with all this. Third, I want to tell you that I think your husband cheating on you is really LOUSY, even if the courts and his new girlfriend don't see it that way; it IS awful, and you ARE justified in feeling the way that you do.

You and I are in somewhat similar situations, although on the surface, it may not seem so. My ex didn't cheat on me (well, come to think of it, not that I know of!), and I have two children with my ex, so it's different in those big ways, but I feel a lot of what you've described. For me, I waited a LONG time to have kids.. while so many of my friends were becoming mothers when we were around 20, I knew I didn't want to bring kids into the world without really being ready to be a Mom, and without having a good man to be their Dad. I was 30 when I got pregnant, and had been with the father for four years then; I thought we were ready. Turned out I was blessed with twins, but saddled with a loser for their father. From the moment I announced the pregnancy, he just regressed further and further into the irresponsible and alcoholic behaviour that he enjoyed pre-"me". Because I'm a mother now, I know that I have bigger responsibilities than just what works for me, so in spite of any financial 'bonuses', I realized that I couldn't keep tolerating him in my life, and definately didn't want him to be an influencing factor in the way my boys turned out. So now he's out, and I'm glad, but it is tough at times. Here I am, single mother, with no work, little working potential, and feeling cheated in some ways. Certainly not with my boys, though; they're a blessing in SO many ways, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. But I do find myself feeling really angry at times that I'm raising them on my own, and but for the help of my family, in absolute poverty. Knowing I waited for so long, trying to be responsible, and now I'm in no better straits than my friends who became single Moms at 20, except a bunch of them have had their kids in school for 5+ years, and are now doing well for themselves, where I essentially wasted several years with my loser ex, making sure he was "Mr. Right" before having kids together! Yep; it's a good ol' slap in the face, that's for sure. Plus, here I sit now, just turned 33, wanting so much to have more children, and knowing full well that it's going to take such a long time before I trust again, I likely won't be able to have more. And, like you, I'm really choked that life is so financially tough now. My ex makes a really good income, and throughout our relationship, I was always trying to turn him into a responsible adult; trying to keep our expenses low, never buying SQUAT for myself, always wanting to create savings, and trying to keep him from partying all the money away. Now, to add insult to injury, he's submitted an affidavit to the courts claiming that he had been "concerned" about MY spending habits! Luckily, I can show through bank statements and receipts that my spending was pretty damned minimal, but it's still a heck of an accusation to face. On top of all that, since I finally had enough and gave him the boot, he's been living it up, with LOTS more spending money, now that he's not supporting a family of four, while the kids and I struggle financially all the time and every necessity has to be budgetted out carefully. Do I feel cheated that I'm not with him anymore? No way in he**! Do I feel cheated that I committed to him and our future, only to find he couldn't be bothered? You bet your last buck! And yes, it's salt to the wounds to know that he's affording all he needs, wants and then some, while my kids went without shoes for 3 weeks last summer, and my family's Christmas presents to them weren't toys, but clothes that we couldn't afford to buy.

Unfortunately, I don't have a magic answer for you; there are plenty of people worse off than me and mine, just like there are plenty worse off than you. We both know that, yet the feeling of being hosed out of the life we had committed to and trusted we'd have, is gone.. All I can say is that when I get caught up in those feelings, it's best to remember that our lives are where they are because of our choices. That's not to say either of us deserved this, but we CHOSE it, and we can choose differently now. Miserable as it is to have to fight my stupid ex over custody, access, support and the house, I am choosing to, right? I mean, I hate it, but I suppose I could just take off with the kids to somewhere unknown and hide out, or something equally undesirable; I choose not to. Therefore, I choose to fight this jerk-off as best I can.

Tough as it is to fathom at times, I really believe that everything happens for a particular reason, and someday, it will become clear. Maybe someday, you'll come across the same kind of jerk that your ex is, and if you hadn't been with him, you'd have married and had kids with the new jerk, only to find yourself in a worse position than you are now. Hope that helps some; it's a tough thing to deal with, but you'll get through it, and realize why it happened in the first place. Best wishes!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:26 AM

Oh yeah; I guess I didn't say it, but the third thing that makes yours and my situation different... I wouldn't take my ex back if he was the last man walking the Earth and batteries were outlawed! LOL!
Old 01-17-2006, 03:07 AM

lostinlove is on a distinguished road
Default Lol

I love your sense of humour! Come to think of it, I like your gusto too. What are we if we don't have spirit???
We are very much alike. Everyone says, "Oh, at least you didn't have children" and my logical side agrees, but at the same time I feel that if I had children, at least I'd have one of the things I always dreamed of. My ovaries are drying up as I write this post and I have to face the possibility that if I take the time to learn all there is to know about anyone else I meet, I'll run out of time. Don't even get me started on the trust issue - how do you muster all the excitement, hope and enthusiasm a second time around?
I never do anything without analysing and calculating and thinking it through completely. Can't for the life of me understand what went wrong. At least you can identify what went wrong.
You made the right decision. You as a single parent should be sooooo proud of yourself and your twins will have a strong, intelligent roll model without the negative influence of an irresponsible dad.
It makes me so sad to hear that your kids are suffering financially while he enjoys his income with no sense of responsibility. Can nothing be done to get a portion of his wages?
Pat yourself on the back everynight for all that you accomplish despite adversity.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:09 PM

Thanks so much, Lostinlove; it's so nice to have words of support and encouragement! I had to laugh when I read your line, "I never do anything without analyzing and calculating and thinking it through completely." That's me, to a 'T'! Those closest to me are always chiding me for over-thinking and overanalyzing everything! We really are alike! Hang in there; your situation will become clearer and clearer as time passes, and you'll wonder why you didn't see the writing on the wall, but don't beat yourself up over it. I've come to the realization that a lot of the reason I didn't see that stuff was that I didn't want to; I'm always so quick to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that everyone thinks as I do.. life is about always striving to be a better person than you were yesterday. It's a tough one to swallow, but some people just don't give a d*** about being good people, just taking what they can from life. My new adage is that from here on out, I WILL be judging my books by their covers... or more accurately, from a quick skim of the back cover, anyway. If it looks even remotely grim, back on the shelf it goes, 'cause there's a whole library full of books out there. I might miss some good reading that way, but I don't have time to read all the way through, only to find that it was a waste of my time and energy. Food for thought, anyway. Feel free to PM me if you like, anytime; we seem to be similar souls!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:51 PM

rustedinnocence is on a distinguished road

when all is said and done at the end of it all and lay in bed at night figuring things out, the only person that is there to know how you feel and what you need to do in order to take care of yourself, is YOU.
,.,,,,,there is nothing greedy with wanting to ensure you'll be ok. You keep yourself from become a mytr by looking at what is real and what needs to be done for YOU.
Now is the time to take care of you and ditch the guilt! You deserve consideration too and in these situations, you're the only one that will give it to yourself so don't go and short change yourself by thinking you are being something other than loving ... after all, if he doesn't love you anymore, all the more reason to do what it takes to love and look out for yourself.
And NO you are NOT being greedy... you are being SMART
If you think you are being greedy, ask yourself this question -- why does he deserve more than you, especially when he is the one that wanted it ended, or so his actions would say
Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Epona is on a distinguished road

You don't mention whether or not you are employed or were employed while married and living together and whether you were or not employed may affect whether or not you can collect spousal support.
Yes, separation and divorce hurts. The only people who really know what it feels like are those who've gone through it. You are still grieving, and we all grieve differently.
BUT you do have to "let go", otherwise you will become an embittered person unable to enjoy life. If you can't do it yourself, get help in the form of counselling. Also, start divorce proceedings. Finish that chapter of your life. Revenge may make you feel good for a short time, but then what?
Look out for yourself first. Let your estranged husband enjoy his life with his new girlfriend -- you know it probably won't last -- that he'll probably cheat on her as he did you.
You need to move forward with your life. Yes, there is a chance you won't become a biological mother, but would you really want him back after what he's done and will possibly repeat, but by then you may be parents?
Take the high road. Learn from what has happened. Move forward with your life and don't settle in the rut of vengeance. Get the help you need to move on. :-) And even after moving on, there are times when the "what ifs" will unexpectedly pounce on you, but with time that happens less and less.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:56 PM

billiechic is on a distinguished road

This thread was started in 2006. Hopefully those posters are done with this forum and well on the way to being happy.
Closed Thread