Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 09:26 PM

MommaBear73 is on a distinguished road
Default When to raise support

Quick question. Are you supposed to change/raise support as soon as you get the raise, or when you do your taxes and exchange assessments with the ex? The ex was ordered to show his tax assessment and it turns out he was not paying according to what he was making last year but is saying that he only had to raise it when he did his taxes.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 PM

billm is on a distinguished road

Well, it should be done when you have agreed to do it in your separation agreement.

I think reasonable people agree to adjust support once a year, around July when all tax information (ie NOAs) are in hand for the previous year. I do it July 1. So raises, job loss, etc, are all handled by that method.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

If your a woman you get support in mummer1962's thread. If you're a man, you get support in billm's thread. This fixes family law, we don't have to ever argue about support again.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 AM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

LMAO...but Mess that's NOT FAIR (Waaahhhhh)

In any event, it depends on how you worded your agreement. Could be either or. Once/year is the de facto norm that most people follow I do believe. However you ex needs to be aware that this works both ways...if he makes LESS he doesn't get to change it until you do the assessment each year.

Essentially offsets support by 1 year, but it all evens out and it's much less headache.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:44 AM

MommaBear73 is on a distinguished road

There's nothing in our divorce agreement about it, he usually raises it when he gets a raise, but says he forgot.
As for the gender war that's going on in here, I really don't want to get involved and am frankly tired of seeing it. I am also sad that it spilled into my thread which had nothing to do with the men have it worse/women have it worse nonsense that is overtaking this site.
Closed Thread