Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So, because you got screwed, my kids should?
KMF: There's the occasional hate-filled misogynist on the forum....you generally should just disregard them. You definitely should keep working on enforcing what your children are owed.

A lot of people have been through blatant disregard of support orders but just keep working it with FRO. The good thing about them is that they have a lot of leeway at their disposal to garnish wages, to seize tax returns and licences...and in the worse case, to potentially seize property. Unfortunately, its not a quick process...it takes time.

Get in touch with your case worker...use your case number and see what action they're planning to take. Stay on top of it and make calls at least once per week.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:51 PM

KMF is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for your respectful reply. I have a really good case worker, so when I need help retrieving my support on any given month, he's right on it. Unfortunately, they change up your case worker now and then, so it's luck of the draw.

I know I shouldn't have replied to the previous woman hater, but idiot generalizations piss me off. All I really want, is help caring for my kids financially, because my ex is completely incapable of caring for them emotionally.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

I didn't mean to generalize against women.... I meant to speak in terms of payors and recipients (most articles just use he and she because of the overwhelming realities involved).

Everybody has the ethical obligation to support their children to the best of their ability.

The system however isn't structured fairly so if you happen to play according to the rules then you don't get a fair outcome generally (as a payor).

Maybe you can come to an agreement with him to make an automated payment since it seem you are able to get some Child support sometimes? Maybe it is a logistical issue or he wants to support his children but not at the levels the government deems necessary - at least you will get him to pay some?

Have you considered showing him the expenses of raising the children for a month (including electricity, housing etc....) and asking him to "man-up" as PH so intelligently put it?

He is paying something so he must agree on some level to support the kids he just might not realize the actual cost?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:09 PM

He knows what the expenses are, he just expects other people to pay for his kids. He actually tried telling the judge that since I live with my mother, she can help me with the kids.

He skipped the country with his first child, and stopped paying him child support as well. He feels the world owes him. He is a classic narcissist.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

KMF you can put anyone on an "ignore" list on this forum.

Pursuing Happiness is right on.

Keep working with FRO. Your ex is self-employed and the former employer, regardless if he is a now a contract employee with his own business, is obligated to adhere to FRO. Did you know that FRO can make that employer 100% responsible for the whole support debt? They have alot of clout and collection is free. My advice to you is to work with them and provide them with all the information you can - inundate them with information to help their collection actions.

Negotiation is now between him and FRO.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:04 PM

arabian, I honestly didn't know that. My lawyer is planning on sending the employer a letter, telling them if they don't go back to garnishing his wages, we'll be taking legal action against them. I'm just surprised that a company of this size (if I mentioned their name, you would know who they are), would be so stupid as to stop, when FRO never told them to. They never even informed FRO that his employment with them ended. It's very frustrating. I should be able to count on getting my support at the same time each month. For instance, he paid it on September 6th and then not again until October 30th, and so far, nothing this month.

I think I'll call my case worker and ask why they aren't doing anything about his employer. At least when they were paying it, I was getting it at the same time twice a month.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:14 PM

If your lawyer is a family law practitioner he/she should know this. Some lawyers who don't practice exclusively in family law may not be fully versed in FRO policies.

Good for you for finding this forum and asking the question. It shows you are taking an active role in your case and not relying 100% of your lawyer to do everything.

If you don't get a satisfactory answer from FRO case worker don't give up. Your next step after that might be the Ombudsman.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Another thing to ask your case worker, and the Ombudsman if you have to go that route, is about the Privacy Act and how your queries are protected.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMF View Post
. They never even informed FRO that his employment with them ended.
I believe the employer is legally obligated to inform FRO when employment ceases. They have a certain time limit that they have to do this by.

This should be clearly spelled out in the FRO maintenance enforcement act.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:22 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Question...just because I am curious... How can FRO enforce garnishment, if someone is not actually an employee, but say a contractor?

For example, a friend of mine does voice work (messages on hold and similar things), she was an employee of the company, but due to cut backs, they cut her position. Usually weekly, she still does voice work for them, but instead, submits an invoice to them for her services and they pay it, She is expected to claim this as income on her taxes (which she does) and ends up owing money every year because of it, however, she is not an employee for the company.

How can FRO insist the company she is submitting invoices too to garnish her wages? Wouldn't that mean they have to go after every company that hires her to do work, even though she is self employed?

Please note: my friend has no children and doesn't pay support, I was more wondering how it happens in situations like that, as it seems this is what the OP's ex has done