Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 PM

Gladtobesingleagain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Yes he certainly has been "sheltering" all along. I never really cared about his other business interests as I always felt that what we negotiated for SS was sufficient. He continually puts me in a defensive position legally. This time I'm afraid that I will have little choice but to go after his "other" interests. Not only is his g/f sheltering but also an older sister. I really hate to see money spent on this as he will not be successful. Total waste of time as well.

He goes bankrupt, still is not discharged, and now he announces his intention of retirement. He was just in front of the judge a few months ago. I'm sure the judge will not be impressed.
Highly recommend that you get financial disclosure from new partner and sister.

Imagine their reaction when they are dragged into this (their fault for being deceitful) and the egg on their faces.

You may have thought the SS amount was sufficient but seems your ex trying to hide things so would help if you expose it all. Not right for them to do that. Who knows what else they are trying to hide that may hurt you in the future?

Sounds like he's playing dirty and perhaps exposing his partner and family in this will at least make him stop dragging you into court continually.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see when monies have been suddenly 'moved' and to whom/where. Even FRO, as an enforcement method can pursue (as a joint/co-party) any person(s) who are "frustrating" or deliberately impeding their efforts to collect money owed.

Another thing to be sure of: is that the person owing money does not have a safety deposit box. There are those who will all but empty out their accounts and put large cash amounts in their safety deposit boxes. This might be something to check into. The courts can request that the bank confirm whether or not the payor has a s.d.b.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:23 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by slughead10 View Post
if he has moved everything into his new womens name wouldnt she be SOL?
Nope. The forensic accountant would show the path and the court would go get the money. Not much you can hide in the world of finances from the courts these days unless you live your entire life in cash. The challenge is due to cost of having this done you only see it on the really $$$ cases. There are some great examples on CanLII of forensic accountant reports in posted decisions.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:27 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the advice guys. Lots to consider. I would much prefer a charity to get the cash if it came down to it. I guess I'm a s.u.c.k.e.r and just wanted him to be able to get on with his life.

Very interested in how I can find out where the money is. CRA had a go at him a few years back but their hands are tied in that they have to give banks 30 days notice of everything nowadays (as opposed to 30 yrs ago when they could just seize accounts). Banks defend their customer's privacy (rightfully so) even to a point that all of the major banks have legal departments who just deal with these sorts of things.

My ex is too anal to have anything in a safety security box. One of the many items I gave him when we split up was the safe from the house. Took 2 men to lift out to the moving van. We used to keep money in there for employees who worked out of town. In the old days many small town hotels and gas stations didn't run accounts or take visa. If he has cash money it would be in the safe.
I don't care about that. Just want a fair deal and to get on with my life. Thought I had that.

Keep the ideas coming people. Appreciate it greatly!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:29 AM

If he went into business with his sister (which we can pretty much prove) do you think we can get an order for the sister to turn over all of her accounts? I know a person can't go on a fishing expedition. Does anyone know how far a person can go to request information? Even CRA is limited.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:33 AM

glandtobesingleagain: Now you and others can understand why I have an issue with interfering new partners/gf/bf's. In my case it goes well beyond being simply "interfering" it is fraudulent. Very frustrating indeed and a challenge for me to keep everything in perspective. I apologize for those I offend but my personal experience has put me in the mind set I am in.
Closed Thread