Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2016, 12:18 AM

Wyntermcd is on a distinguished road

Given the ages of you both I wouldn't say 10 years is a good deal. Regardless of amount.

I would suggest offering her the $600 for 7 years, alternatively a higher amount for 5 years. But I personally would reserve that as an offer to settle, then if it wasn't agreeable I'd take your chances in a trial, someone mentioned that she still will have to prove entitlement as she did not initially seek spousal support.

Also be very careful of what your putting in your emails to each other, if you say yes to spousal in an email there is no garantee that she won't try and use that against you. Plus any other info you inadvertently reveal without realizing it. I would suggest you be exceptionally careful in your correspondence, this cannot be emphasized enough.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:39 AM

zanman is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the help , I'll maybe offer $60.000 and see.

Any thoughts ?

I'm honestly really scared for the court thing if it is to come out worse that's the problem. she constanley is reminding me that it will be worse. I would to honestly just tell her to take me to court as I've have done nothing but work with you and she refusing to move from the 10 years and 600.00 per month.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:43 AM

Also does emails I have of her saying I do not intend to seek spousal mean anything?
Old 06-23-2016, 11:22 AM

Also in the agreement we did together and had it notarized by a lawyer. it stated

This agreement adequately and completely provides for the present and future needs of the husband and wife, and each covenants and agrees that the arrangement herein described constitutes a full ,complete and final settlement of all rights, causes, claims , and demands with respect to support and property.

We both met with a lawyer and had it Notarized
Old 06-27-2016, 02:19 PM

Do you think this has any holdings to my case?

Also in the agreement we did together and had it notarized by a lawyer. it stated

This agreement adequately and completely provides for the present and future needs of the husband and wife, and each covenants and agrees that the arrangement herein described constitutes a full ,complete and final settlement of all rights, causes, claims , and demands with respect to support and property.

We both met with a lawyer and had it Notarized
Old 06-27-2016, 03:32 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

If you have a signed notarized agreement and statements like:
"I do not intend to seek spousal mean anything?"

I would not pay her a penny.

Any discussions/notes you have with a party are available for use in trial once an agreement is SIGNED....

Did the lawyer doing the notarizing ask her any questions about if she consulted legal advice et.c...
Old 06-27-2016, 03:56 PM

We were do that on our own and on the agreement
Its states we have received full independent legal advice with respect to this agreement. also being aware of their intlement to full independent legal advice.

I also have emails from her saying she intended never to seek spousal support. It does not specificly say anything regards to spousal but on the area where it indicated that the Husband shall pay the wife we crossed out and added the below statement.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:36 PM
Hand of Justice

Don't pay anything . Don't negotiate let it go to trial
Old 06-27-2016, 07:40 PM
Hand of Justice

I imagine she thought the new guy was going to pay for her right and that didn't work out?

the classic case law here is miglin vs miglin but the courts are reluctant to overturn SS agreements.

Google it there is a lot of info
http://victoriasmith.ca/wp-content/u.../11/miglin.pdf

Last edited by Links17; 06-27-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:16 AM

Yes when she left I guess he did promise to look after her, seems he has found another new women I guess. I'm going back to the Lawyer today for some current advice.