Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2016, 12:09 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanman View Post
She then emailed and said if we go to court it will be closer to $900.00 a month and that the outcome will be worse for me so I should take her offer.
General rule: Don't take legal advice from your ex, or her lawyer.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:10 PM

YOW is on a distinguished road

That deserves a Like button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
General rule: Don't take legal advice from your ex, or her lawyer.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:21 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

I'm not the first one to say it YOW. It comes up over and over and over and over on this forum. People constantly take advice from their ex and their lawyer.

"My lawyer says that I am entitled to $1300/month in spousal"
"My lawyer says that you have to move out of the house"
"My lawyer says that I don't have to let you see the kids if I think you might hurt them"
"My lawyer says that you have to do all the driving"

etc. etc. etc.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:39 PM

Oh I know... my ex used to use that sh** on me all the time. Apparently her lawyer was an expert on every possible subject AND a child psychologist too. go figure.

But unfortunately, my lawyer was just ok - and some details on my agreement were lacking. I got some things, and lost others. I guess its a good thing that I am not highly experienced in divorce.

You know why divorce costs so much? Because its worth it!
Old 06-22-2016, 02:54 PM

zanman is on a distinguished road

This is what my ex just sent me help on replying ?

Basically you outlined three areas of concern.

First, in regard to support payments, it was my understanding that you would not be willing to make monthly payments. To be honest, the real issue not so much about whether it is monthly or lump sum, but that the amount we discussed is too low.

Second, in regard to the duration of payments, I have been advised that an appropriate duration in our situation would be 10 years. I would expect that your lawyer would have informed you that the range would be between 8 and 16 years.

Finally, to the question of the baby bonus, you are free to apply and claim one of the kids when you file your taxes. To be clear, I am only able to claim one child.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
First, in regard to support payments, it was my understanding that you would not be willing to make monthly payments. To be honest, the real issue not so much about whether it is monthly or lump sum, but that the amount we discussed is too low.
Honestly, for reasons stated by a few here, her suggestion of $600/month is better than your suggestion of lump sum $50K. Reason: taxes.

Quote:
Second, in regard to the duration of payments, I have been advised that an appropriate duration in our situation would be 10 years. I would expect that your lawyer would have informed you that the range would be between 8 and 16 years.
Ok, I thought you said the subject of support payments could not be reviewed for 10 yrs. To that, I would say no. If she is saying the duration of spousal support payments will last 10 yrs, then that is not bad. I also had replied earlier saying it would be min 8yrs, max 15yrs. So this is right in the ball park. Of course, amount and duration is subject to review due to material change, etc blah blah.

Quote:
Finally, to the question of the baby bonus, you are free to apply and claim one of the kids when you file your taxes. To be clear, I am only able to claim one child.
Never hurts to file a claim for baby bonus, or child tax credit... You will get some additional paperwork to do. Worst case, CRA says you do not apply. I have an accountant do my taxes, and he does the application for me..
Old 06-22-2016, 03:49 PM

I guess I go back to the Lawyer for advice on the matter? Any Thoughts

Should I email the Lawyer or make a visit ? regarding her latest demand
Old 06-22-2016, 04:10 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

You need to get a lawyer. Or speak with your lawyer. At this point shes threatening and needs to just pull the trigger on a motion. Dont take hers or her lawyers word for anything. Talk to your own lawyer.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:17 PM

I have one I'll just make an appointment , I just get so scared of court and what the outcome will be... you just don't know to make a deal or waive your odds in court.

This has already effected me and the kids so emotionally its been unreal
Old 06-22-2016, 04:20 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Your lawyer should be able to help you with the old agreement and also deal with what could possibly happen. If this does go forward, make sure you get a bit more of an iron clad agreement so she cant find any loopholes in the future.