Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2016, 02:44 PM

Acadia71 is on a distinguished road
Default Spousal support count as income?

For purposes of child support calculations, does spousal support count as income?

For example if a spouse receives $35k in spousal makes $25k working would that be $60k for determining child support the next year?

Just planning my budget long term.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2016, 03:22 PM

hopefull is on a distinguished road

NO! To clarify, is it you paying the spousal support, is the spouse receiving it from someone else? Regardless, SS is tax deductible i.e. person receiving has to declare and the person paying gets a return.

Child support is primary and right of the child....you can't weasel your way out of that. So if you earn 50k and don't have 50-50, you pay table amount based on your 50k salary. If you have to pay SS, that comes on top of the CS providing there is an entitlement to SS.

NOTE: Want to save yourself from potential SS in the future, find someone that earns more or close to you. As I don't want anymore kids...my dating life takes this into consideration now.

I am NOT currently paying SS, as I was lucky to beat it! Phew
Old 10-03-2016, 03:30 PM

It is me paying the support. I'm not trying to get out of child support in any way, just want to know what it will cost.

My income will be about $150k and hers should be around $25k so I guess I will pay her $30k spousal and then the difference of $125k look up amount
Old 10-03-2016, 03:39 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia71 View Post
It is me paying the support. I'm not trying to get out of child support in any way, just want to know what it will cost.

My income will be about $150k and hers should be around $25k so I guess I will pay her $30k spousal and then the difference of $125k look up amount

No.

Your spousal is determined in your agreement and has nothing to do with her income or cs.

Child support has nothing to do with her income and is based on your income. If your income is over $150,000 a year it may also be considered different outside the table but that is up to a judge.

Section 7 expenses are the only things that depend on both incomes. That percentage is determined based on your income and hers combined.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:41 PM

Child support trumps SS. Again, a judge will look at you full income and use the table to determine how much CS you pay.

For example: depending on how many kids, 1,2.3,4 kids amounts below / month

150000 ! 1263 2012 2611 3102

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/c...11/pdf/ona.pdf

Lessons learned: Don't hook up with someone that works at Timmies/ McDonalds or just "works", especially when you have a higher salary. Find close to or an equal

Quote:

Old 10-04-2016, 04:00 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

In your case, you would pay CS based on your income before spousal support is subtracted - i.e. the guideline amount for $150K, not $125K. You can claim a tax deduction for spousal support, which will offset the costs to you somewhat.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:02 PM

Canadaguy is on a distinguished road

What if they are doing offset CS? So for example his income is $150k for CS (or $1,263 in ONT per month for 1 kid). Her income is $25k or $55k with SS. So does she pay him $200 a month in CS or $498 a month in CS. It makes a big difference because his offset paid to her each month would be either $1,063 or $765 per month.

I read somewhere that to determine CS you have to use worksheet 3 provided by the government which takes off SS income (usually for the lower earning mother) to determine how much CS you pay.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:16 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

My partner was in this situation (offset with him paying SS). His CS contribution was calculated based on his income before SS was subtracted. His ex's CS contribution was based on her income before SS was added. In other words, SS entered the calculations as part of his income, not as part of hers.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
My partner was in this situation (offset with him paying SS). His CS contribution was calculated based on his income before SS was subtracted. His ex's CS contribution was based on her income before SS was added. In other words, SS entered the calculations as part of his income, not as part of hers.
What a ridiculous system.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:19 PM

Says you...but nobody is putting a gun to our heads to have kid(s) or get married. In an ideal world, the Quebec system of no marriage - no spousal support will be the de-facto standards across the country.

Hence the reason I won't be getting married again or find myself fall into the common law trap. I was lucky to beat the SS claim first time around, why would I want to push my luck next time

Quote:
What a ridiculous system.