Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 07:51 AM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Just a point that comes to mind. If a material change were to occur, such as payor spouse loosing their job or profession through no fault of their own and were unable to secure an equal position that generated the same earnings, this would construe to mean a material change and spousal and child support orders are open for review. The courts would have to accept this first as a material change. So in essence there really is nothing final or indefinite.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:18 PM

Anne is on a distinguished road
Default Until Death

Brian...I am with you! You are 100% correct. I was starting to think I was the only person who sees the injustice in all of this. It begs the question - what can we do??
Old 10-15-2005, 01:37 PM

nikitaforce will become famous soon enoughnikitaforce will become famous soon enough

hi Grace,
My litigation was from April 2002 and is still going on to a certain degree...the trial was March 2004.
And as far as expenses...it cost me more than money!! At times I thought I was losing my sanity.
It cost me over $15,000 for lawyer...then I represented myself from the settlement conference to trial. So it didn't cost me as much as if it had been represented.
But in the end when you add the money I paid, the ex paid which he should have paid into the mortgage and to me and the loss of equity from the sale of a house that shouldn't have had to be sold...YOU DON'T WANT TO GO TO TRIAL!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 02:39 PM

nikitaforce will become famous soon enoughnikitaforce will become famous soon enough

I absolutely agree as well Brian...there needs to be some sort of formula that works for families...unfortunately I think there are efforts being made to resolve the issues but just not anytime soon...like any of our laws...there is such a lag in getting resolution...not to equate family laws issues to accessibility/disability issues but there are so many injustices out there that it can be frustrating.
I don't have answers but I do know until the laws changes, we need to do something...and there are plenty of advocacy groups out there...support systems for counselling, and believe it or not...lawyers who believe in healthy divorces.
Again...kudos to Jeff for this forum (a lawyer with a heart)...which in itself is improvement for people who feel abandoned by a system. I didn't have this when I was in the midst of hell...supporting each other is important.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of

gvjt,
I think you said you're residing in Austria. Just a thought - you may want to consider consulting with an Austrian lawyer about whether you qualify for starting divorce proceedings there and if you do, what the law regarding your situation is. From what I see at:
http://www.international-divorce.com/d-austria.htm
the law looks quite different there than in Canada. Just one observation about that: this sort of tactic can lead to expensive litigation in two places at once as to what the proper jurisidiction to proceed is and what the proper law to apply is. Still, you should investigate all your options.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:53 PM

Grace has a spectacular aura aboutGrace has a spectacular aura about

Nikitaforce,

Perhaps it is a blessing that the trial got delayed. It gives me 6 more months to work out a settlement. I'm impressed that you represented yourself. I find the court system intimidating and couldnt imagine going without counsel. I too have many times lost my sanity, I call them my mini meltdowns. But time does help, I'm so ready to move on. You've inspire me.
Thanks again,
Grace
Old 10-15-2005, 06:39 PM

Awww...thanks Grace,
You made my day!!
Closed Thread