Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2006, 12:56 PM

Amber is on a distinguished road
Default Spousal Support

Usually, I have a problem with spousal support, except in cases where it is warranted. I have heard of women that just basically sit around and collect the support and that's it. they make no effort to get off their butts and make their life better for themselves. There are jobs out there and anyone with any incentive and motivation will be able to secure one. ( In my mind anyways) Here's the deal....At one point I worked in the banking industry probably for 15 years ( I would be retiring from that this year had I stayed with it) but left that to work with the Family Business. I also had a Nursing Degree. Let my license renewal lapse about 8 years ago ( wouldn't be needing that!!!!) So have worked in the FB for 26 years. My lawyer is advising me to stay with the FB until business matters are settled and payment in hand and spousal support arranged. I will possibly be relocating to an area where I am not known. I am 50 years young. My ex is saying that he will pay me my regular cheque from the FB which I no longer have an interest in past V date, while I look for another job. Then he will pay me the difference between the two to equal what I make now. We had been married 26 years. I contributed immensely to this business. I have told him I do not want support from him forever. I want to move forward but I do want the support until I have myself established. My kids are grown and on their own.
Child support is not an issue. Between the two of us we have drafted an agreement which both lawyers are looking over. My lawyer has suggested support till 2010. Then the option for review by either party. There would also be a provision for review by either party should there be a material change in circumstances. The review date would remain whether a material change with either party had happened or not. I drive 550 km per week to go to work to manage the office for my ex and his woman. It costs me approx 300$ per month in fuel for my vehicle to go to work and back. Not to mention what the wear and tear is on my vehicle. He still has the business. He still works in the job he knows and loves. He makes a fine living.
Am I being unreasonable asking for a few years of support? I would love to hear your comments! I would welcome input from both mens and womans perspectives. (Sorry I was sooooo long winded)
Old 02-22-2006, 01:26 PM

Jenny is on a distinguished road

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all... Granted I don't know the particulars of your business- what is it worth? if you are signing over your interest in it in exchange for a paycheque for a couple of years- that doesn't sound like a great deal for you. Then again - is it worth anything? You might want to get it appraised and have him buy your half out. Might be a better deal for you. Plus at that point you may still have a claim for support as well based on his income and your income. don't know if this answered your question at all or raised more issues but food for thought.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:02 PM

Jenny: I guess I wan't very clear. But In my message I indicated that my lawyer wants me to stay until business matters are settled and I have payment in hand and have spousal support ARRANGED. As long as I am still employed in the FB I expect to have a pay cheque. I have had for 3 years since v date. It was either a paycheque or support. I have worked 45 hour weeks for that paycheque as well. So what I am saying is that I am not signing over my 1/2 interest for a paycheck for 2 years. When I am finished and don't have a paycheque anymore, support will kick in at which point I then take my life in a different direction, starting over from scratch, having to recreate myself in the work force at 50.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:12 PM

Jenny: I guess I wan't very clear. But In my message I indicated that my lawyer wants me to stay until business matters are settled and I have payment in hand and have spousal support ARRANGED. As long as I am still employed in the FB I expect to have a pay cheque. I have had for 3 years since v date. It was either a paycheque or support. I have worked 45 hour weeks for that paycheque as well. So what I am saying is that I am not signing over my 1/2 interest for a paycheck for 2 years. When I am finished and don't have a paycheque anymore, support will kick in at which point I then take my life in a different direction, starting over from scratch, having to recreate myself in the work force at 50.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:15 PM

Oh man. I have this on twice. Sorry for that....
Old 02-22-2006, 03:24 PM

hubby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber
Oh man. I have this on twice. Sorry for that....
Just ensure it don't happen again ok!

Hubby
Old 02-22-2006, 03:45 PM

For sure!!!!

Hubby... I like reading what you have to say. I would welcome your comments on my thread.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:22 PM

hubby will become famous soon enough

Amber,

Each and everyones situation on spousal support is different. If you've been married a long time, have sacraficed your life for the family and business. Then I'd say yes go for what you are entitled too according to the law ...

Lawyers advice seems sound ... after all you are entitled to a portion of the business.

One thing I have learned in life, not everything lasts forever. Support at one time will vanish ... use your time wisely between now and then. From what I've taken from your post this is your intention and if so, you will do just fine.

Hubby
Old 02-22-2006, 04:30 PM

Old 02-22-2006, 05:07 PM

Oh no! I did it again. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong to post the same message multiple times.
Closed Thread