Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2016, 10:10 AM

zanman is on a distinguished road
Default Spousal support

Hi Everyone
I just want to start off by saying thanks to everyone and I'm so glad I joined this board.

I wanted to start to really educate myself regarding spousal support.

My base salary is 62,000 with a monthly Profit sharing that can average 20%. It is not a guarantee and we are a non unionized shop so it can be taken away. Is spousal based off of that our just your last tax year ? I would just hate that if we have slow downs at work and they become really low.

What do people do if they need a vehicle with something like this about to potentially happen. is it worse to have a car payment or better at this time before full financial disclosures have taken place. I need a reliable car, but I under if I have to drive a pc of crap but I have about a 30min each way to work and my daughter plays provincial sports so it requires allot of driving. It just feels like I'm at a stand still waiting for something to come.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:36 AM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

Start by reading the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines, which is the closest thing we have to spousal support laws in Canada.

TABLE OF CONTENTS - Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines July 2008

This will help you understand the how and why of spousal support.

Spousal support is not black and white like child support and is heavily negotiable.

For example, it may or may not be adjusted for changes in income. Mine was not. I paid SS based on my income of the year of separation
and our agreement specifically indicated it would not be adjusted.

It may be time limited, it may say that it should be reviewed at certain times or on certain conditions, or it may be indefinite.

Normally you force the other party to prove they are entitled to it. Entitlement is not automatic.

However, if they sacrificed their careers to stay home for the family, or are incapable of earning a comparable income due to the marriage,
they would most likely be entitled to SS.

Essentially you will each be left with around 50% of your combined net disposable income.

For example, if you make 60k and she makes 30k, spousal support would even this out so that you each get around 45k. Since it's based on net income, not gross, it's more complicated than this, but that's the general idea.

Since most families are struggling financially these days, especially with massive debt loads, trying to support two households is almost impossible. I rented a room in someone else's home, I drove a 17 year old car that was loaned to me by a family member, and I had to sleep on the couch or floor when my son came to visit. I lost basically everything and couch surfed for several years while I paid SS.

Finally it was reviewed and ended and I have been able to slowly rebuild my life. I have a better car, and I can rent a townhouse, but I will probably never be able to own a house. My greatest asset was not losing my job so that I could continue to survive.

Although SS ended, I still have to pay CS which continues to increase yearly, plus S7 expenses. So even without SS it's an extra mortgage payment every month that will never stop and only increase over time.