Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Foredeck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadFirst View Post
Hmmm...When hours were counted who was awarded hours for school time or post-school child care time?

So I can deduct the credits for taxes? Ok, but I suspect we both have to agree that custody is shared? If so, how is this decision related to the CRA? Written letter?

What other tax credits would I get?

Also, with shared custody, no one had indicated whether the typical costs still sit with the custodial parent? I.e. what happens for non-special expenses (clothing, new shoes, regular school costs, etc)?
Counting hours is very hard, so most judges stay away from it. School hours is counted for who drops her off, who would be contacted if she got sick and who packs the lunch. This is a judgement call. I believe one judge did not count it, he counted how many hours each parent had the child other then school.

Only one of you can take the credit, if there's a dispute, you'd have to send a letter and prove that you have shared custody. Sometimes they only ask for a signed letter sometimes they might ask for more.

You have the equivalent to a spouse, which is 9000$ or so if you're single. There is also a few thousand dollars for a child under 5 I believe. You can also deduct child care and sport expenses. The total amount came to roughly 15 000$ for my daughter.

Each parent is in charge of the expense while the child is in their custody. In my situation, we basically buy 2 of everything now. Clothes and shoes go in between houses. For food, you both buy the food you feed your child.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:05 PM

billiechic is on a distinguished road

Since she is recieving the full table amount right now the CS you pay should cover normal expenses including shoes, clothes, day trips for school etc. But if you do get shared custody and one ends up paying the net to the other you will both be responsible for day to day expenses when you have the child.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 PM

Nathank is on a distinguished road

I just went through all of this...if you have your kids for 40% or more of the time and if you have the higher income you pay your table amount minus her table amount...for my situation my gross was $97k so may table is $980 (i cant remember the actual number) and my ex made $26k last year and her table amount is $280.... so my child support is 980-280 so i pay $700.00.....and I have my daughter 50% of the time....this is the law...even though there is a guideline that says to also subtract the increase cost of living for having your child more often....you aren't actually allowed to do that because you are a man....and men have no rights in the eyes of the guidelines....
Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 PM

Nathank is on a distinguished road

Oh ya and since my income is 75% more then hers I pay 75-100% of school and extraordinary items....even if I am 50% parent....it is my problem that I furthered my career, and since she picks up a fancy check every month she has no incentive to get a better job or further herself at all.....frustrating!!!
Closed Thread