Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

The only problem I can see with this is what would happen if someone outbids Janibel on the house. Not likely to happen, if the real estate market is pathetic, but not impossible. Would Janibel have an obligation to sell the house to the highest bidder, even if that isn't her?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:54 PM

FWB is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Would Janibel have an obligation to sell the house to the highest bidder, even if that isn't her?
Am sure you know the right answer to this, and what you will expect if you and your ex had a house listed, he wanted it for an amount...then a higher offer came in, would you decline the "highest offer", and let your ex have it?

All offers that come in have to be presented to both parties regardless of who has sole possession...so there can't be any skullduggery going on
Old 01-23-2014, 07:18 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

If a decent offer came through I would certainly accept it - though I doubt that it would happen - as I said earlier real-estate market is slow in my area.
Both co-owners must agree on the listing and sale price - which means cooperation, which means I'm out of luck.

Maybe the best solution would be to torch the place and split the insurance money 50/50 ... We've been back an forth over this issue for almost 2 years now.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:27 PM

MS Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
The only problem I can see with this is what would happen if someone outbids Janibel on the house. Not likely to happen, if the real estate market is pathetic, but not impossible. Would Janibel have an obligation to sell the house to the highest bidder, even if that isn't her?
Then go in $4000 above asking. She'll get $2000 back in the sale
Old 01-23-2014, 07:29 PM

One thing about real estate offers - it's often about the closing dates, inspections, etc. as part of the deal.

If she put a $5000 deposit in with her offer, went a few thousand above asking price, quick close date, with the only condition financing - she'll outbid any other buyer out there.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibel View Post
If a decent offer came through I would certainly accept it - though I doubt that it would happen - as I said earlier real-estate market is slow in my area.
Both co-owners must agree on the listing and sale price - which means cooperation, which means I'm out of luck.

Maybe the best solution would be to torch the place and split the insurance money 50/50 ... We've been back an forth over this issue for almost 2 years now.
Best part about a plan to buy it under him is you can give him what he wants. Use his appraisal amount, use his timeline - it's easy to agree to all the steps along the way if you're going to end up with it anyway.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Maybe the best solution would be to torch the place and split the insurance money 50/50
Now that this statement is floating around on the net, hopefully the Maison doesn't burn down tonight or tomorrow, because someone will be SOL

Quote:
Use his appraisal amount,
Two can play that game, he can have his appraiser jack it up

Quote:
One thing about real estate offers - it's often about the closing dates, inspections, etc. as part of the deal
Yeah...like all appliances, blinds, fixtures to be included
Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
Now that this statement is floating around on the net, hopefully the Maison doesn't burn down tonight or tomorrow, because someone will be SOL

Two can play that game, he can have his appraiser jack it up

Yeah...like all appliances, blinds, fixtures to be included
The point is to agree with him and buy it from under him. He won't use some idiotic appraisal amount to put it on the open market if he truly wants to sell.

Then Janibel comes in as the most qualified buyer with the best offer.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Then Janibel comes in as the most qualified buyer with the best offer.
Assuming she can afford the house and the upkeep, or perhaps she is better off getting something smaller for one person and a canine
Old 01-23-2014, 08:29 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Canine is gone to doggy-heaven.... adieu

Concerning idiotic selling price, he had initially agreed with the appraisal that I offered him this spring, then turns around and wants to sell at 25% less than that amount because he is in a hurry. Am I being unreasonable here? My lawyer seems to think STBX is not thinking straight.

What really is upsetting me is that in a year or two, non of this will matter to him or me for that matter - temporary financial insanity?