Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums (http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/)
-   Financial Issues (http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f5/)
-   -   Section 7 and tax credits (http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f5/section-7-tax-credits-21318/)

timberlandman 09-13-2017 08:55 AM

Section 7 and tax credits

Hi,
My SA states any sect 7 are payable after all tax credits are applied. Then split in proportion of income. Currently 44% me..56% ex-spouse.
We exchange financials each june and settle previous years costs using previous years credits. Simple right?!

My D10 is playing house league hockey this year. Costs are $800 registration fee, $400 team touny fee and $35 jersey plus misc costs. She is registered as goalie and may be entitled to a refund by league of $450 payable by februrary 2018. I say "may" as certain conditions apply to playing 10 out of 22 games, be full time goalie, etc but this shouldn't be an issue.
Equipment is bought and/or is loaned from the league.

Questions;

1. Ex spouse is arguing that there are no tax credits applicable this year due to changes made by liberal gov.
I know she applies for any credit available but not knowing how much she's entitled too this year....how do i calculate my net portion? Also do i apply these credits to all hockey fees stated above to determine my net 44% share? Are any of the costs where the credits shouldn't be applied?

Thanks

timberlandman 09-13-2017 09:48 AM

I forgot to mention my ex just remarried so does this change my calculations in calculating cs , daycare and sect 7 by using her and the new hubbys income combined?
What affect does this have in calculating my costs going forward?

rockscan 09-13-2017 10:19 AM

Nothing. She could win the lottery and it wont matter. Her spouses income means nothing.

Go on the cra site and search sports credits. Check your provincial ministry of finance site too. If there are no credits then there are no credits. You pay your proportionate share based on the total cost.

Tayken 09-13-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timberlandman (Post 223542)
I forgot to mention my ex just remarried so does this change my calculations in calculating cs , daycare and sect 7 by using her and the new hubbys income combined?
What affect does this have in calculating my costs going forward?

No. Unless you are claiming "undue hardship"... Which effectively means you are homeless.

The other parent's partner could be Sir Richard Branson and you would still be paying CS.

Beachnana 09-13-2017 07:40 PM

Last year the CRA gave a tax credit for active programs. My daughters sons hockey was $299 p,is his swimming for $60 and she got a $50 credit.

Nothing for equipment just for the fees. So it's not much. And I think it might have been taken off this year.

I am not sure but if it's not that much it's really not considered section 7. Section 7 daycare is a given. Everything else has to be proven as extraordinary. It's house league not really extraordinary. Offer to pay 1/2 of everything and move on. If she does not like that let her go to court and seek more. It's $500 bucks each to see daughter play hockey.

Both of you need to be proud parents not petty adults.

Beachnana 09-13-2017 07:44 PM

Oh and of course you will be at every game. Helping tape up the hockey stick, encouraging her to stretch before the game. Cheering her on etc etc. You know all those parenting joys of seeing your daughter kick ass in a male dominated sport. ( all 3 of my daughter played hockey!)

Oh and don't forget to get NHL tickets this winter as a special treat. Maybe a new hockeymbag for Christmas. Hopefully she gets a hockey scholarship and lessens the university costs.