Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2015, 08:00 PM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie82 View Post
Scenario: Mom orders glasses for Child totalling $500 without Dad's consent to the expense...
How much do kids' eye glasses cost, these days? Is that what they cost? Or is that for some fancy, top-of-the-line designer glasses? Man, I hope my kids don't need glasses anytime soon.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:17 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

to me if mom wants to take the kids on the trip then the cost of the vaccination is part of the cost of the trip. If they were not going they wouldn't be needing the shot.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:25 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
to me if mom wants to take the kids on the trip then the cost of the vaccination is part of the cost of the trip. If they were not going they wouldn't be needing the shot.
I agree...but here is another question... if Dad is planning a trip for the kids as well next year, the same shot would be required, but the kids wouldn't require it again because they were already vaccinated. So Mom has the expense for her trip and Dad wouldn't have that expense.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:29 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
I agree...but here is another question... if Dad is planning a trip for the kids as well next year, the same shot would be required, but the kids wouldn't require it again because they were already vaccinated. So Mom has the expense for her trip and Dad wouldn't have that expense.
now in that case I would expect the dad to pay his share for the initial shot then. He is getting a benefit out of the shot also then.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:29 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bandm View Post
How much do kids' eye glasses cost, these days? Is that what they cost? Or is that for some fancy, top-of-the-line designer glasses? Man, I hope my kids don't need glasses anytime soon.

Last pair of glasses for kid were $300 and that was lenses only as she just used the old frames. Then she also paid for $200 in contact lenses and a $150 pair of prescription swim goggles. Tack on the $150 in lens solution and you understand why I say WTF?? I wore the same glasses for 14 years because we were on social assistance as a child.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:02 PM

maxwellsmart is on a distinguished road
Default Section 7(1)(c) - Health-related expenses that exceed insurance reimbursement

The Federal Department of Justice
guides state the following in their discussion of special or extraordinary :

" your child’s health-care needs that exceed $100 per year if the cost is not covered by insurance (for example, orthodontics, counselling, medication or eye care)"

In my view , although I'm not a lawyer,

The first 100 of uninsured medical expenses per annum is not to be shared unless the order has language that deviates from the guidelines in this regard.

Also don't forget that if the parent has claimed or is entitled to claim the medical tax credit on their tax return the NCP should only share in the net of tax cost.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:03 PM

Maggie82 is on a distinguished road

Just got off the phone with our lawyer who has just returned from vacation. He clarified this guideline for us. Turns out that BOTH Mom and Dad were correct.

Hope this helps:

With regards to section 7.(1).(c) of the Child Support Guidelines, which states: “health-related expenses that exceed insurance reimbursement by at least $100 annually, including orthodontic treatment, professional counselling provided by a psychologist, social worker, psychiatrist or any other person, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and prescription drugs, hearing aids, glasses and contact lenses,” the law intends the costs to be shared as described below:

• Any health-related expenses that exceed insurance reimbursement by at least $100 (therefore, a cost of $100 or above) shall be shared proportionately;
  • Any health-related expenses that exceed insurance reimbursement by less than $100 (therefore, a cost of $99.99 or less) shall accumulate until their total exceeds $100 annually, at which time, any future health-related expenses that exceed insurance reimbursement shall be shared proportionately until the year’s end.

Therefore, if the cost of the expense is $100 or more, it is automatically shared regardless of whether there were any expenses prior to that particular $100+ expense. Any expenses that are under $100, their totals add up until they exceed $100, at which point any future expenses, regardless of the cost, will be shared proportionately.

Hope this helps clarify things for some of you!
Old 08-30-2015, 09:54 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

so you contact your lawyer on a Sunday evening about this?
Old 08-30-2015, 10:16 PM

Maggie82 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
so you contact your lawyer on a Sunday evening about this?
No... he contacted us on a Sunday evening. 😉
Old 09-02-2015, 11:16 PM

maxwellsmart is on a distinguished road

Maggie that's very clear. Good work!