Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2017, 02:10 PM

zanman is on a distinguished road
Default Salary Question

I'm just asking a question and wondering some peoples thoughts.

My base Salary is $67.000 and my work has a Product Incentive Plan which is a variable bonus program, paid monthly. This bonus is budgeted to pay monthly of approximately 20%. but it is never the same.

If and when the STBX's Lawyer serves me for a spousal claim do they just base it off of you tax returns or do I have any argument that its not the same every month sometimes its only 2 to 3 hundred and other months more. I just would hate that if she does get all that she is asking for that some months I would be negative big time.. not that I am not already with child support and mortgage, taxes , bills and then all the kids expenses.

The main question would be is this a valuable argument ?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:47 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

You could counter that its based on the base amount and you settle up differences after tax time?
Old 02-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Why not just base it off of the previous year's return?

Over time, on average, you will pay the tabled amount.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:57 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

It's like any other expense that varies. You budget for it.

Use your last year's line 150 as your income (or this year if you will have that before court), and it should all average out in the end.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:37 PM

Newfie76 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Zanman, there is really no incentive for any man to work beyond their base salary (No OT, No bonuses, No second job etc). Out of every dime you make 7 cents goes to Child and Spousal. 7 for her 3 for you. No incentive to work more or be proactive to get yourself ahead, because you cant on these CS/SS rules. However, your ex will gratefully take more if you are willing to work for it. More you work the less she needs to work....

So why do it.....?

Courts in Canada allow the lazy deadbeat ex-wives to rape the working man...and if we try to compensate in anyway like working more or attempting to get ourselves ahead somewhat, we are knocked down again by giving our ex's more of our hard earned money.

The court only supports deadbeat mothers....ITS THE LAW... no sense in attempting to fight it.

So in short...your most likely going to calculate you SS/CS on last years income. If that included bonuses...and next year you fall short on your bonuses, yes you are correct...you will take it in the teeth.

I refuse to put more money in my ex's pocket so I refuse OT...and I spend more time with my kids....however my employer's patience is running short.

Good luck....

FYI. In Boston family law states that OT, second jobs and bonuses can NOT be used for CS/SS calculations....that's called equality.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:12 AM

zanman is on a distinguished road

Thanks Everyone
I kinda Figured that
Old 02-15-2017, 04:40 AM

North of 40 is on a distinguished road

^^^^ Do you think the law would ever change here? I.E. by working a second job, it wouldn't have to be inputted as income.

I agree....if your hungry/hardworking the system seems quite prepared to knock you down. I liken the whole process to a jail sentence, except the penalty goes far longer.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Generally, the following equation is considered to be axiomatically true:

More CS = better for kids

Any law that reduces CS would be bad for kids, and is therefore quite unlikely to happen.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:05 AM

KW_Divorced is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post

Any law that reduces CS would be bad for kids, and is therefore quite unlikely to happen.
That is only true IF CS goes to benefit the children. I can tell you that in my situation, my ex put CS into her own bank account and my kids seldom saw even a single dime. She used it as tax free spousal support and even admitted it in a mediation session.

This is what is pathetic in Canadian Family Law. It assumes all parents are responsible and will provide for their children (which most do) however in cases such as mine, she was free to pocket the monies for herself and my kids went without, until I had to step in and help out directly.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:05 PM

Newfie76 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post

I CHALLENGE THIS!!!!

More CS - better for kids???? I call BS!

How can you say that taking a money from one parent to give to another equates to better for the kids?? exactly how?

In my situation...I made good money when married, had a education fund setup for both children, took vacations in the South, visited family members across the country, exposed the kids to different cultures, enrolled the kids into extra programs such as dance, hockey, martial arts and had memberships at local kids facilities.

Today....they are lucky to get a candy on the weekend. Even pizza days at school had to be cut. It tears me up inside to have this happen to the kids...and people like you for some odd, uneducated reason think that increasing CS will improve their life!!!! NO reducing CS will improve their life!!!!!!

Exwife takes both CS and SS....nothing is spent on the kids!!!!! NOTHING!!!!

Explain THAT ONE!!!

REDUCTION
OF CS PUTS THE MONEY DIRECTLY INTO THE KIDS HANDS!!!!