Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2014, 06:54 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough
Default S7 University Expenses beyond Tuition, Books, Fees

This is bs if your kids are paying more than their share and their mother is racking in the cs money. Id definitely be keeping a watch on this expense and speak to a lawyer if necessary. Youre paying $1000 a month for kids who dont even live there AND they are paying for their own living expenses elsewhere. Shoot.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:22 PM

Straittohell is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed with rockscan. Hell, I paid for most of my schooling with loans, savings, summer jobs, and scholarships. I received very little from my parents, and in the end, I considered that a good thing.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:09 AM

Reality is on a distinguished road

DepletedDad

I am making some assumptions here but between both parents it sounds to me that this is close to a 200 000 year family and 1 person is getting greedy.

I would be careful of starting up a court battle (not because you don't have a case - you may) because the lawyers are going to see you two as a huge cash cow....always do the math. I personally would rather give my kids the cash then a lawyer; even if I do think I am in the right. As someone said in a post recently "the high road is bumpy"

I certainly would make sure you have receipts in hand for any tuition or anything that you are putting up 47% of to avoid any lying.

I actually work for a large educational institution and unfortunately I do see we have an "entitled" generation that statistically do NOT put up their own money anymore. I still say you have great kids putting up their portion and be proud. Any reason you couldn't buy printers and pillow and send the 53% bill to the ex? Might give her a reality check..my 2 cents.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:36 AM

DepletedDad is on a distinguished road

rockscan....I hear ya.
Straittohell...me also, but it doesn't seem to be the case these days and tuition has gone through the roof!
Reality...not really...it was about 70 me and 80 her but she lost her job and is employing herself as a property manager for their 8 houses and 2 apartment buildings (at about 40 I think). Her husband is in 6 figures.
I recently retired and am poor, lol.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:52 AM

Reality is on a distinguished road

DepletedDad

Of course I may be reading your comment wrong but "was 70" and "recently retired and poor" Do you have a "material change of circumstance" that would legitimately reduce your monthly support obligation?

At the time of order you were making 70 000 now retired making "X" percentage of 70 000 - this could reduce your CS significantly. Might be enough to make up for tuition expenses etc..

Yes I do hear you...we are all poor after divorce and it is tough but I am jealous your end is in sight!
Old 10-07-2014, 11:30 AM

Default S7 University Expenses beyond Tuition, Books, Fees

Even more so, if your annual income has changed and youre providing updates, your cs and s7 percentage would change. Plus if your ex wife is purposely underemployed, she runs the risk of being imputed for s7.

Being noble and paying more isnt fair to anyone especially if the kids are having to pick the slack for mom while shes bringing in a higher cs payment they dont see.

You need to have a frank chat with your ex and get the amounts updated. Especially if theyre not right. You are better able to help your kids in the long run if you update, are able to sock a bit away and then give them money in the future. And if your ex threatens court, let her know you will seek an imputed income and costs.

Look at it this way, if your updated cs allows you to put $500 away per month, leaving you about $4000 per year, then you end up socking away $12000 by the end of their university, if one or both kids wants to take a post grad at college to get a job (lets be realistic, university doesnt always equal a job) then youve got money you could provide for that even though its probably in your agreement for one degree.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:17 PM

70 was before retirement, so yes it's reduced now.
From what I've heard and read, they would be unlikely to see it as undue hardship so going to court sounds like a gamble. It would be nice if the rules were a little more clear cut (and fair).
The real bummer is it takes 2 years for cs to be accurately geared to income. This year is full support based on last years income tax. Next years support based on this years income tax will be a partial year of full income and the balance at pension income.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Then your s7 should be based on her previous income no? Did you adjust that to current income? Or did she lose her job before the taxes were done?
Old 10-09-2014, 01:07 PM

S7 is currently based on both of our previous incomes. It was towards the end of the year when she lost her job and I think she got a package so income was about the same. There will possibly be an adjustment with this years income tax.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 AM

Cindy39 is on a distinguished road

Do not negotiate with her privately, get in front of a judge, you need a court order on this as soon as you can, speaking from experience.